We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one way car rental

Ellicott City...
Level Contributor
6 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
one way car rental

we have a late flight leaving SJU so i was thinking of renting a car in ceiba, exploring old town during the day of departure, and dropping it off at SJU. On priceline, I am getting a quote of 35$. I noticed several of the previous posts note excessive fees for one way car rentals on the island so this Priceline deal seems too good to be true. $35 dollars seems great given that the taxi ride from Fajardo to SJU is at least twice that. Any advice/thoughts?

Mentioned in this post
Fajardo
Fajardo
Puerto Rico
Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: one way car rental

Read the fine print to make sure insurance etc. is covered or you have it covered another way. But if it is,a deal's a deal, priceline's reputable, and your credit card would allow you to protest any out-of-contract charge. So what are you waiting for? An explanation of why the price could be that low? Well, maybe they tend to get one-way rentals in the other direction. Or maybe they have unrented inventory and are trying to recoup what they can. It's not like prices always make Gosplan :sense," right?

CORNMEN
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: one way car rental

I recently made similar reservations from Avis to rent a minivan and a Jeep for 3 days for pickup at Ceiba and return at SJU. The minivan was $118 total for the 3 days and the Jeep was about $140. The price is way cheaper than a rental for pickup at SJU and cuts out the taxi cost from Fajardo to SJU. I was skeptical as well, but others on this board have said Avis will actually pick us up at the ferry dock.

I'm not sure when you will be traveling, but we are going in the first week of March and will let you know if we have any trouble.

Mentioned in this post
Ceiba
Ceiba
Puerto Rico
Fajardo
Fajardo
Puerto Rico
Mechanicsburg...
Level Contributor
106 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: one way car rental

Another helpful hint for one way car rentals with Avis.

If picking up the vehicle at SJU and returning to Ceiba, you have two options to drop off the vehicle.

1. You can drive to the Ceiba office of Avis which is near the airport. Follow signs for airport. They will almost always take you to the airport as it's very close to catch your flight. (The avis return center in Ceiba is not on airport grounds, it is a fair distance away, ie not walkable, no shuttle bus, etc). If you plan on taking the Lancha or ferry to Vieques they might take you to the dock in Fajardo if they have enough time. They may also call you a cab. I've had both scenarios, just happens to be how busy they are, time of day, how many people they have on staff.

2. When speaking to the Avis staff in Ceiba in the past, they said you can drop off the rental car at a lot next to the Fajardo ferry terminal. It will cost you $10 cash to drop it off there. The lot in question is not the lot which costs $5 or $6 per day to park in. If you are at the ferry terminal, facing the ocean, the lot is immediately to the left at the end of the street. Right next to where the cargo ferry loads up. I have found that the $10 is well worth not having to jockey back and forth to / from the Ceiba Avis office when you have kids in tow and lots of luggage and time might be tight.

(It's not a bad idea to call the Avis office in Ceiba and inform them you are dropping off the car at the Ferry Terminal).

Mentioned in this post
Ceiba
Ceiba
Puerto Rico
Fajardo
Fajardo
Puerto Rico
Boulder, CO
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: one way car rental

I'm wondering how this one-way Priceline rental worked out for you.

I see the same price advertised on Priceline - and there is no mention of any one-way drop-off charges or anything else.

I'd imagine that any additional charges could be disputed with Priceline if there are any.

5. Re: one way car rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2014, 07:16