We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Number Tres: Vieques in 3 days!

Akron, Ohio, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Trip Report Number Tres: Vieques in 3 days!

Check out the first part of our trip report in the San Juan forums, and the second part in the Puerto Rico forums!

Days 5-7:

After 2 nights at the Ceiba Country Inn, we set out to Fajardo to catch the ferry to Vieques. If it were up to me, we would have flown. I had done enough research to know the the ferries were unreliable. But my travel companion was terrified of small planes, so the ferry was our only option. And we had quite an experience with it. We were aiming for the 1pm ferry, so we arrived around 11:30. We parked our rental in the $5/day lot because that was cheaper than returning it in Fajardo. There were 3 lines for tickets, and a large group of people standing around looking restless and confused. A woman explained that the ticket booth emplyees had all gone to lunch. So we settled in and waited. At 12:45, one of the tellers returned, and chaos ensued. The locals cut the the front, and all 3 lines converged into a crowd. You either pushed your way in, or you waited for the 4pm ferry. We pushed, and all turned out well. We were on the next boat to Vieques.

An hour and half later we docked in Isabel II, and were flagged down by a cab driver. I heard that finding a cab on this side was difficult, so I was pleased to have gotten one so easily. We picked up our car from Maritza's and were on our way.

We stayed at Bananas Guesthouse, which was perfect for us. We were relieved to be able to find food and entertainment by walking down the malecon every night, and had so much fun exploring the winding roads, checking out beach after beach after beach, snorkeling from shore, and meeting tons of interesting people.

My favorite beach was Pata Prieta (secret beach). The sand was as white as our Ohio snow, and the surf was calm. However, we went back the next day and it was covered in seaweed and had a much stronger surf. A local explained that the wind was from the south that day, which was rare. The far end of Sun Bay and Navio were also extremely picturesque. Green Beach was GREAT for snorkeling.

General Observations: Isabel II was not what I had in mind when I pictured Vieques, and I was a little concerned until we pulled up to the malecon in Esperanza. It seemed very crowded and not very friendly. If we had spent more time in Isabel I'm sure my opinion of it would have changed, but I think we drove through the worst parts.

Tips: Neither Google Maps nor iPhone maps work very well on Vieques. Grab one of the Island Maps you see at the guesthouses and do your best with that. Expect to get a little lost, and enjoy the absolutely spectacular views you find along the way.

Also, a lot of the bartenders and servers will give you great tips, and even be your personal tour guide if you want! Go to Lazy Jacks to meet Mike. He'll help you out.

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report Number Tres: Vieques in 3 days!

Thanks for your great trip reports (3). You do not say if you did the biobay kayaking tour. Hope that next time (I'm almost sure you'll come back someday) you see the biobay and swim ar the falls in El Yunque!

Akron, Ohio, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report Number Tres: Vieques in 3 days!

Duh! How could I forget!?

We did do the bio bay tour with Abes. It was definitely an experience!! A German TV crew was on our tour. They didn't realize that the bio luminescence doesn't show up on camera until after they dragged all of their equipment (including bright lights) out there, and then they asked all of us to come back by the docks and pretend we were looking at the luminescence so they could film our reactions. The Abe's crew didn't seem to know what to do with them, haha. But the bay itself was amazing! I loved seeing the fish dart around, and watching the water spark as drops hit the kayak. So cool!

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,083 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report Number Tres: Vieques in 3 days!

thanks for the report.

how was Isabel 2 different than expected?

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report Number Tres: Vieques in 3 days!

LOL, that German film crew did not read TA before trying to film the biobay! Then they would have known...LOL

Edited: 07 March 2013, 14:21
Ohio
Level Contributor
112 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report Number Tres: Vieques in 3 days!

Hey Lindsay, glad you enjoyed your trip. I am going in a few weeks with the wife (I've been there 4x, her 1st time was our honeymoon) and the kids, it's their 1st time to the funkiest little island in the world! (a distant 2nd would be Put-in-Bay, just kidding) I can't wait for them to see the wild horses and go snorkeling with me. Sadly, this may be my last trip as our friends may sell their home in Esperanza :(

As far as Isabella 2 goes, we only go there to get provisions and maybe eat dinner but it's like any other "city" on a poor carib island. And given the past history with the navy, it's understandable alot of locals are not fond of gringo's. The amazing beaches, lack of commercialization and the fellow travelers and expats you meet far outweigh a few dirty looks in town.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,230 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report Number Tres: Vieques in 3 days!

Thanks for this, Lindsay! Sounds like you really appreciate Vieques' unique charm! Are you planning your return trip yet?

7. Re: Trip Report Number Tres: Vieques in 3 days!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2014, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Isla de Vieques