We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Vieques clear as mud

Which Isla de Vieques hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Springfield...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Getting to Vieques clear as mud

I guess I'm frustrated trying to navigate the VAL website and needed to vent.

This should be simple: family of five ready for a new adventure having visiting St. John (loved Coral Bay) a couple of times and numerous trips to Mexico (Akumal, Zihuatanejo, etc.) and we've decided on giving Vieques a try.

We are leaning to Vista dos Mares for our one week stay. Everything I've read about this villa has been positive. We plan to rent a 4wd vehicle and understand this should be a priority. Our routine is hit a beach in the morning until mid-afternoon, happy hour at the villa, and repeat.

Our flight to SJU doesn't arrive until 8:00 pm so we will spend one night in San Juan before flying to Vieques. Our return flight departs at noon so we will spend another night in San Juan after our week on the island.

We plan to catch a late morning flight to Vieques. Checked Cape Air and they have flights that fit our schedule. The cost is $1,095. Although unable to navigate the VAL site, they appear to have flight times that will work. It appears the cost is $720 but I can't confirm that.

We want to spend whatever time we have in Old San Juan and I understand the Isla Grande airport is more convenient. We won't be able to see much at the beginning of our trip due to our late arrival and morning flight to Vieques. But, we would be able to see and stay in OSJ upon our return from Vieques.

I guess it all comes down to these choices:

Stay at a hotel near SJU, fly Cape Air, and cab to Old San Juan if need be, or

Stay at a hotel in Old San Juan, fly VAL from Isla Grande. I'd feel better about it if I could get better info from the VAL website.

Constructive comments welcome!

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Vieques clear as mud

Try calling VAL.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
433 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Vieques clear as mud

No matter where you stay in San Juan you should fly out and back from Isla Grande airport. A big savings for a party of 5. I've never had a problem with the VAL website but definitely give them a call if you are - and don't be deterred if there's no answer when you call. Just try again in a few minutes.

If you book your car rental with Maritza's you can pick up and drop off your vehicle right at the Vieques airport. Again, a big time saver for a party of five.

Berkshires
Level Contributor
271 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Vieques clear as mud

Since you are a party of 5, try pricing out the Cape Air commuter book. There are ten coupons in the book, good for 5 round trips. I think the current price is$899 for the book. The flights leave from SJU, so no transfers, etc.

Malden...
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Vieques clear as mud

This should not be too difficult. Do not fly from the international airport in San Juan on Cape Air or VAL, it is much more expensive. Fly from 'Isla Grande' which is just a few miles away. The one way fare from there to Vieques is only $72. Their website should not be a problem if you know what the different airports are called.

Also, you do not have to spend two mights in San Juan if you don't want to. There are returning flights from Vieques to Isla Grande as early as 7:30am on your last day. Likewise you could stay in San Juan all day at the beginning of your trip and take a 5:15pm flight to Vieques.

If finances are a concern, it is even less expensive to get to Vieques if you take a taxi from San Juan to Ceiba ($75 for 1 hr drive for 5 people), then fly VAL from Ceiba to Vieques for $25 one way.

Malden...
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Vieques clear as mud

Avis now rents vehicles in Vieques and has very good prices.

Worcester...
Level Contributor
351 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Vieques clear as mud

Before you decide on which airport to fly out of, Isla Grande or SJU, double check the TOTAlL costs. With 5 of you, the commuter book through cape air might be your best bet, but it might not. I have found the cost of the commuter book to varry from time to time, as well as the VAL flights out of Isla Grande. When comparing you also need to compare totals to totals. For example, if flying out of SJU, add up the cost of cabs(maybe two cabs in your case) to and from your hotelsto the SJU airport, and the cost of the commuter book. If flying out of Isla Grande, add up the cost of cabs to and from your hotels to the Isla Grande airport, plus the cost of all your luggage that might go over their weight limit, twice (once for there and once for back), and than the price of ten tickets. I say this becuase depending on your hotel location, the cab fares to/from the different airports could be very different. The airports are on opposite ends of the city and I would hate to see you "save" money by flying out of airport A, to just loose the savings in cab fares getting there. Also, lugguage overages should always be considered.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
3,919 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Vieques clear as mud

Peggi gives some good advice, except Im not sure who charges $75 to Ceiba

Its more like $80ish plus tip. but thats being petty of me. its actually a great idea and for 5 people will only cost about about $250 one way. Since you are staying overnight you will have time to travel by vehicle.Plus you can see some Puerto Rico on the way there and back. go through Pinones or to Guavate for lunch. or you can also hire a licensed tour guide to pick you up and take you to el yunque then drop you off in Ceiba or SJU(depending on which direction you are going in). its a bit more than a straight run but adds to your trip.

8. Re: Getting to Vieques clear as mud

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2013, 23:46
Springfield...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to Vieques clear as mud

I like your recommendations. In this scenario we would arrive on Friday, spend two nights in OSJ and fly out of Isla Grande on Sunday. My VAL schedule has only one early flight departing at 9:00. Not familiar with the area; can we get to SJU without rushing for our noon flight?

Springfield...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting to Vieques clear as mud

Seems there is also a VAL flight to SJU departing at 9:30. More expensive, I guess?