We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moonrise and our biobay tour

Which Isla de Vieques hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
14 posts
Save Topic
Moonrise and our biobay tour

Hi, Friends! Just booked a biobay tour for Friday, 3/29. Our tour is meant to start at 8:30 and moonrise is at 9pm. The person booking indicated we'd get about 10 minutes in the water with no moon. Thoughts on that? How quickly does the moonrise diminish the effect of the bioboay? Does anyone know if there are companies who have tours that leave just a smidge earlier, like 7:30? Also, I know sunset is around 6:30, but what time is it officially dark enough to appreciate the biobay? Thanks for all your help!

Atlanta, Georgia
14 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Moonrise and our biobay tour

Fun Brothers apparently has a tour that leaves at 6:30...I can only assume they wouldn't leave that early if it didn't get dark pretty quickly...what do you folks think? Sunset on the bay and more time with no moon, or moonrise on the bay, but possibly less of an opportunity to see the biobay in action?

Bedford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moonrise and our biobay tour

Can you change the trip around a day?

Its 10:05 on 3/30

Atlanta, Georgia
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Moonrise and our biobay tour

It's a good suggestion, but unfortunately the 29th is the last night we're staying on the island... I'm kind of leaning toward the Fun Brothers tour that starts at 6:30 and probably gets in the water closer to 7. Seeing the moonrise on the bay sounds supercool, but I've heard that things don't always run 100% on time in Valleques, and I'd hate to not have any time with no moon on the water. Seems like people have had pretty decent experiences with Fun Bros.

Bedford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moonrise and our biobay tour

I like the "no moon" time near the bay.

The Milky Way is clearly visible.

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,923 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moonrise and our biobay tour

I would not wait to much to confirm a reservation, it's a long busy weekend

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
3,979 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moonrise and our biobay tour

go with the earlier reservation. by the time you meet, transport to the ba, then paddle to the designated area, it will be plenty dark.

as mentioned, dont wait too long

Berkshires
Level Contributor
273 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Moonrise and our biobay tour

I think you have several other choices as long as they are not already booked for the earlier 6:30 trip. I know Abe's has a 6:30. It is plenty dark by the time you make it to the bay, even with the 6:30 departure.

I went out once when there was a full moon. Moonrise was about 30 mins. after we got out on the bay. We had plenty of time to see the bioluminescence, and then got to watch a spectacular moonrise. The sparkling of the moonlight quickly overtook the sparkling of the bioluminescence, but all in all it was a great night. Enjoy your night.

Atlanta, Georgia
14 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Moonrise and our biobay tour

Thanks, everyone! I think I'm going to go with the 6:30 at Fun Brothers, unless anyone has a reason we shouldn't use that company. I believe Abe's 6:30 tour was filled up...at least I was only offered the 8:30 option by Abe's.

3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Moonrise and our biobay tour

Did the Fun Brothers 6:30 last night (3/28) and it was perfect. Really beautiful night, and our guides, Tom and Marcos were really knowledgeable and fun. Highly recommend to anyone.

3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Moonrise and our biobay tour

Did the Fun Brothers 6:30 last night (3/28) and it was perfect. Really beautiful night, and our guides, Tom and Marcos were really knowledgeable and fun. Highly recommend to anyone.