We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back...

columbia
Level Contributor
137 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Just back...

We just got back from spending 4 days in Vieques and 4 days in Culebra. Had a wonderful trip!

We flew into San Juan and got a taxi right outside the airport ($15 plus $1 per bag) to Isla Grande airport. We had 1 hour 30 minutes between flights and made it in plenty of time. We were hoping for a beer at the small airport but the snack bar was closed and I guess has been closed for a while. The flight to Vieques was fun and beautiful. An adventure in itself!! Took a taxi to Esperanza ($15) where we stayed at Coco Loco which was very nice. The town is small and nice to walk around with small grocery stores, bakeries and restaurants. We especially like La Nasas bar/food. It is right on the beach and has a patio in back overlooking the ocean. It is mostly locals there but the prices were good and the music was local, not rock, which we like when traveling. Best beer prices we found too! Rented a jeep from Maritzas and explored all of the beautiful beaches. Nice snorkeling at green beach. Saw two octopus there. Pretty drive in the jungle trying to find the sugar cane ruins. Glad we had a jeep!!! The bio bay was simply amazing. Did the clear canoes and they were awesome. Next time I think we would explore Isabella more, maybe even stay there. Seemed like there were more options for food there. More of a local feel if you like that, which we do! We took a direct flight on Air Flamenco to Culebra. I will post on that site about our time there.

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back...

Glad you had a nice time! Thanks for posting.

Edited: 26 March 2013, 20:42
Missouri
Level Contributor
83 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back...

Thanks for the great report. Glad to hear the snorkeling was good at Green Beach, I have that on my last for our upcoming trip. Is the bakery next to Lydia's in Esperanza still open?

Tell me more about LaNasas, I don't think i've heard it mentioned here before. Is it on the Malecon?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back...

Thanks for this. Now we're also curious about La Nasas.

How was the Air Flamenco experience?

Nice that you prefer to go local- that's what Vieques excels at!

Berne, Indiana
Level Contributor
56 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just back...

great post & thanks for the info. I had asked previously about flying from vieques to culebra but did not get any replies for direct flights. I'll check out the air flamenco option now.

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just back...

Thanks for the trip report. Sounds like you had a great time.

columbia
Level Contributor
137 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just back...

Yes, the bakery is still open. We got a large loaf of still warm bread, I think it was $1... the rolls and sandwiches looked good too!

La Nasa is on the Malecon and is right on the beach insted of across the road. It is a small walk up place but has tables out side. Their food menu is small and local. We had the chicken stew with rice and beans. I think it was $8 and we split it as it was pretty large. It is not at all fancy like the other places on the Malecon. We liked it because it felt really local.

We flew both Air Flamenco and Vieques Air. They were both great. Our flight from Culebra to Ceiba we were the only ones on the plane with the pilot. It was very cool! The views are beautiful!

Lancaster PA
Level Contributor
255 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just back...

Thanks for posting and glad you enjoyed Vieques! I encourage you to stay on the North (Isabel) side next time as it is a different feel from Esperanza.

@Bruce and John - Have you never been to La Nasa? It's the only bar/eat spot on the ocean side of the malecon, definitely local with great music and dancing weekends on the back patio, check it out sometime.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just back...

Sadly, we have not yet been to La Nasa. We'll have to give it a try next time. Chicken stew with rice and a cold Medalla sounds just great!

Missouri
Level Contributor
83 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just back...

Thanks for the La Nasa info, now that I know that it is on the beach side, I do know the place, we went there to watch sunsets in November 09 when we were there. Guess I didn't remember the name. I didn't know that they served food, but do remember that they had a great rum punch, garnished with a star fruit!

columbia
Level Contributor
137 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just back...

I did see La Nasa making blender drinks and they looked delicious!!

I think next time we would stay in Isabel. We drove through there and liked the feel of the town. Lots more to explore there.. more choices too. A good reason to go back!!!