We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
New Hampshire
Level Contributor
218 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Holy Week 2014

We are considering staying on Vieques April 12 - 19, 2014. This will be our 5th trip to Vieques. We have never stayed during Holy Week (Palm Sunday through Easter Sunday). Could someone give me an overview of what to expect? My guess is that the week is not the same vibe as the other times we have stayed. We love the peace and tranquility that Vieques has to offer and want to know if it is much busier during this week. Thanks again! ps. We usually stay in Esperanza

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holy Week 2014

To give you an idea, between Holy Friday & Easter Sunday, over 19 K were transported to Vieques by ferry. Eight ferries were used & operating during Holy Week.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,215 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holy Week 2014

It's busy, but it can be a lot of fun. Lots of local folk go camping at the beach... well maybe not as many as in the old days when Camp Garcia beaches became wall to wall campgrounds, but still plenty. Sun Bay becomes a bit of a zoo. Yachts from the main island lay anchor in the bay & pump out the salsa at level 11. The east end of the beach has a lot of campers and parties. The beach itself is pretty crowded. All of this is generally pretty festive. The downer is the high level of security: uniformed guards in the gatehouse and a massive ATV presence. They are very strict about enforcing the speed limit. It puts a bit of a damper on things.

If you're used to a sleepy Vieques with deserted beaches you'll find it very different!

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,649 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holy Week 2014

If you avoid Sunbay and focus on the beaches on the F&W reserve you can still have a mellow vacation.

Revelers do spend some time in Esperanza and some north coast beaches but they are camping , cooking and partying on the beach and do not really frequent the restaurants away from Esperanza.

If you are renting a house and flying in and out you will hardly notice.

Isla de Vieques...
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Holy Week 2014

And to clarify, a lot of the campers are from the main island. They tend to trash our beaches and then leave. The beaches in Camp Garcia are off limits to camping, so they remain unscathed. Lots of partying in Esperanza and a huge police presence. Do not count on getting here via ferry, they sell out...

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holy Week 2014

many/most things are closed during good friday and easter....not ideal for vacation if you ask me...

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
218 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Holy Week 2014

Thanks for all of your input. You've helped me make my decision. We'll come in February or March instead.

Ohio
Level Contributor
108 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Holy Week 2014

I was here a few days b4 Easter and am departing today-it was quite crowded but festive (although I hear a local got shot on malecon) we came with kids so this was their time off school but everything was crowded an policia everywhere.

8. Re: Holy Week 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2014, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Isla de Vieques