We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling...on our own?

Which Isla de Vieques hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
Level Contributor
405 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling...on our own?

Hello. I have been inactive on TA for a few months. I wanted to know where my wife and I, along with another couple, can snorkel on our own? We are not advanced swimmers, but we have our own equipment, and will have a car. Can we snorkel on our own in shallow waters without a guide?

Thanks much! May 24 is around the corner...

Berkshires
Level Contributor
271 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling...on our own?

You absolutely can snorkel on your own without a guide. Going with a guide is good too, because the guide will help you interpret what you see, or what you might miss if a guide weren't there to point it out. Check multiple earlier threads for the varied opinions if people's favorite snorkeling spots. Best snorkeling I have had on Vieques is with Jorge from Little Boat Sailing Co. at Limon Reef.

pa
Level Contributor
801 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling...on our own?

Yes you can snorkel on your own! One place would be the Mosquito Pier it is not too far from the shore.Unfortunately the day we were there the jellyfish were bad and we chose not to go in, but talked to a lady that had been there the previous day and thye saw quite alot of things(we could see starfish from the shore) If your nervous in the water it's not a bad idea to take an inflateable life vest with you, we almost learned the hard way after my husband not having a fear of the water, almost didn't make it back to shore while in Hawaii!!

Indiana
Level Contributor
810 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling...on our own?

We have snorkeled all over the island. I agree with VQSvistor that Limon Reef was one of the best we've seen, but you'll need a kayak to get to it, that or go out with Jorge from Little Boat Sailing. We've put together some maps of places we've snorkeled with some pics and video, may be of some help. You can find it here if your interested:

…blogspot.com/search/label/snorkeling

Curt

Edited: 16 April 2013, 11:11
NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
3,919 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling...on our own?

at blue beach*weekends only it seems) all the way to the right along the rocks. also at blue, more in the middle where the sand points to the small island

and green, as described in an earlier thread, has good shore snorkeling.

plus the pier in esperanza

San Diego...
Level Contributor
405 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling...on our own?

So Blue, Green, Limon Reef with Jorge, and Mosquito Pier...and maybe Punta Arenas? I hear Secret beach is good too...

Thanks all!

Sounds like a fun time. We haven't booked the bio-bay trip yet. Is that a bad idea to book when we arrive? We don't know what kind of boat we want, what time, what day, and with what excursion team....Fun Brothers?

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
3,919 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling...on our own?

for not so strong swimmers, dont try secret beach. the swim is long and the water can be rough. punta arenas does not have any snorkeling. thats the far right of green beach.

make your bio bay res now, why not?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
405 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling...on our own?

Thanks Frankipoo. We won't snorkel at Secret. We just don't know what day we want to do the bio bay, what time, and with what excursion team. I am assuming they won't all be booked?

Another question that I will post as a question in the forum >>>> What about waterfalls? I missed out on a great waterfall experience in Costa Rica (75 feet) because I didn't have swim trunks. I would hate to miss another experience like that. Any waterfalls we can swim under? Or is Vieques all beach?

Apopka, Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkeling...on our own?

I would do Blue definitely and Green if you have time. Blue is shallow and you can really see the fish and reef well and is an easy swim. As far as waterfalls, the link below has one we went to last week. It's on the way to Fajardo, and is not too much of a detour. Well worth it, and you can swim under it.

www.puertoricodaytrips.com/juan-diego-falls/

San Diego...
Level Contributor
405 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkeling...on our own?

@Joshua - I am looking at the waterfall link. Is this on Vieques?

When you say "on the way to Fajardo", you mean by car? I am not 100% familiar with PR's geography. I know that PR has a main island, and then Vieques and Culebra...

pa
Level Contributor
801 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snorkeling...on our own?

Fajardo is on the mainland in Puerto Rico if coming from San Juan you will go by the (exit) to El Yungue (the rainforest), The ferry leaves from there and it is real close to the Cieba airport that has reasonable flights to Vieques.