We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connecting from SJU turnaround time

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Connecting from SJU turnaround time

Thanks in advance for any help!

We are headed to Vieques next week for a week and still have not finalized my plans on getting from SJU to the island. My wife and I visited two years ago and took a taxi/ferry with no issues but this time we are traveling with a 1 and 6 yr old.

I want to fly Cape Air from SJU....will airlines (flying southwest) check you through? Or do I have to get my luggage then go through security again and board via Cape Air? If that is the case....I have a second question. We land at 930am in SJU...What is your experience on getting baggage at SJU and taxi time to Isla Grande? They have a 1115 flight but I assumed that is pushing it....

Thanks!!

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,327 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Connecting from SJU turnaround time

Cape Air does have agreements with other airlines. Best to check with them. You would have time to get to Isla Grande if your incoming flight has no delays. I would give yourself a half hour cab ride to get there. But at that time of day, rush hour should be over and take you about 20 minutes.

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,653 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Connecting from SJU turnaround time

The trip to SIG from SJU takes at most 15 minutes unless it is deluge or a terrible accident it is all of 7.5 miles. Most of it is highway and the trip is more likely than not to take about 10 minutes.

It appears that Cape Air does not have an interline agreement with Southwest, so yes you would have to claim baggage and do the whole security thing again anyway.

https:/…airline_partners.html

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Connecting from SJU turnaround time

Thanks! Anyone had success renting a car from SJU and dropping it off in Fajardo then taking the ferry? A one way rental is only $48...that was another option.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,327 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Connecting from SJU turnaround time

Yes, people have done it successfully and easily with Avis and used them on the reverse trip back to SJU.

5. Re: Connecting from SJU turnaround time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Isla de Vieques
Recent Conversations