We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LA Chata beach and house on the rocks

Which Isla de Vieques hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
9 posts
Save Topic
LA Chata beach and house on the rocks

Hello, I have heard that La Chata beach by house on the rocks has sharks. We are thinking of renting house on the rocks. Can anyone advise about the house and also La Chata beach? Is it safe? Is the snorkeling good. We are planning to arrive in Late July. Also concerned about the weather at that time.

Thanks

Lancaster PA
Level Contributor
254 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LA Chata beach and house on the rocks

That is an interesting comment. The water off of La Chata has a chance of having a shark swim through same as ANY beach surrounding the island would (my husband just saw one off of La Chiva or Blue beach far out at the mouth of the deep blue).

We spend considerable time on La Chata swimming and snorkeling and have never seen a shark there but that isn't a guarantee that you won't. Staying relatively close to shore would make it less likely IMO.

If you are referring to Las Piedras (house on rocks) the design is very cool. The house itself IMO needs some updating but the location is fabulous and it has a pretty pool.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
3,895 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LA Chata beach and house on the rocks

Hi

I would be interested to know where you heard that.

As travelgirl mentioned, theres always a chance a shark would be in the water close by.and that's true for most ocean beaches. but around Vieques, it is very unlikely to encounter anything but nurse sharks. although...

I was at green beach. a couple of local fishermen had caught a large shark(about 8 or so feet) and were cleaning it on the beach.it wasn't a nurse shark. it had a big mouth and lots of teeth. they said it was a macko shark. but I don't think it was. it was scary though. it had a turtle in its stomach. they caught it less than 100 feet off the beach. in the water we were about to snorkel in. but I have never seen a shark while swimming or snorkeling from the beach. but theyre out there...

Edited: 11 June 2013, 04:59
Vieques
Level Contributor
3,410 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LA Chata beach and house on the rocks

You are MUCH more likely to enounter dangerous sharks in Florida, the Jersey Shore or anywhere on the east coast than in the Caribbean ( we know about the pacific coast and how much they like surfers). Many sharks prefer colder water, but as has been stated they swim where they want and they are around though very seldom seen.i have never heard of a sighting around la Chata beach . Nurse sharks are sometimes seen in calmer water by snorklers but they do not pose a threat.

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,410 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LA Chata beach and house on the rocks

to address the other questions. Weather it is hurricanE season in July and it is possible that a tropical depression can drift by, but you are unkikely in July to actually get a storm.

la Chata can have some of the best snorkling around BUT only in dead calm weather.That is something no one can predict this far out , la Chata is popular with boogie boarders and even surfers when the surf is up.

Edited: 11 June 2013, 11:05
5. Re: LA Chata beach and house on the rocks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 June 2013, 11:40
Edited: 11 June 2013, 11:40
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: LA Chata beach and house on the rocks

A native in the area told my daughter

9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: LA Chata beach and house on the rocks

A native in the area told my daughter

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,410 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: LA Chata beach and house on the rocks

Locals love drama and love to get people going. It is pArt of the culture! very time we have a tropical wVe coming they also love to scare the tourists Nd say it is coming straight at us and itnis going to be bad, just part of the sense of humor around here! check other sources

look up Shark attacks , you can find annual statistics and most attacks occur in Florida, Australia and the pacific coast and south africa. the Caribbean just does not show up.

9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: LA Chata beach and house on the rocks

A native in the area told my daughter thank you

10. Re: LA Chata beach and house on the rocks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Isla de Vieques