We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

north or south?

Which Isla de Vieques hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
north or south?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of each? It seems the south side is much more walkable but also might be the most busy or noisy. The north seems quieter, but not as accessible. Thoughts? I'm leaning towards the south side so we only need to rent a car for a couple days instead of all the days.

Indiana
Level Contributor
824 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: north or south?

This is such a well worn path here on the forum. It's important to remember that the island is only 4 miles wide. Also, nearly all the "swimmable" beaches are only reached via a car (or facsimile as some people have used scooter, bikes, publics to reach the beach). Ah..."reach the beach"..reminds me of an old Fixx song.

Anyway...all your going to be walking to is the Malecon on the south side, maybe Sunbay if your up for a short trek. The beaches off the Malecon, while in theory might be swimmable most don't consider them so. The beaches on the north shore are rockier, great for walking (even some good for surfing), but not so much for swimming. The Malecon is not very big and you will exhaust what it has to offer in a day or two, the same could also be said for Isabel, although Isabel is really growing on me and I rather like walking around it.

I guess my point is, don't pick the north shore or Esperanza because of automobile use. If your on the island any time at all and do any cooking your gonna be in Isabel. If you want to head out to a bit more of night life your gonna be in Esperanza. If you want to head to a swimmable beach your gonna be driving.

There are beautiful houses to rent all over the island, north , south, middle, east and west. Unfortunately the ultimate decision will boil down to the all mighty $ and how much you wish to part with. We've stayed at places as cheap as $650 a week and as much as $2400 a week. Just depends on what your looking for.

Hope this helps some

Curt

Isla de Vieques...
Level Contributor
87 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: north or south?

I assume you want to know the advantages of staying in Esperanza as opposed to on the north part if the island in Isabell II.

I'm not sure what type of accommodations you are planning to stay in. Both towns offer many choices--hotels, b&b's, hostel-like situations-- as well as rental villas and houses. Isabell is much more of a small town with the only banks, post office and other services. Esperanza is more of a laid back surf town with a strip of bars and restaurants of varying styles and qualities of food. There is access on foot to some beaches, but this time of year the trek back at the end of the day can be be daunting. The best beaches IMO are in the nature reserve that are out of reach by foot from Isabell or Esperanza. You will need a car and four wheel drive to get to the best of them. You can, however, still have a lively visit without wheels. It just is not optimal. I think if you are young and looking to party on a low budget... Stay in Esperanza. It can be be noisy on weekends. If however, you are able to spend more $$ and spring for a car rental, you can stay anywhere on the island. There are some lovely b&b's and rentals in the middle of the island that would be my first choice...but I'm not young and generally prefer quiet over action. Hope that helps!

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: north or south?

We are young, but definitely not partiers. At home we have maybe a drink every week or two and usually prefer a quiet evening in to going out but we are also tired, both working full time with a three year old and a one year old. We want a nice relaxing vacation, low stress, but still plenty of options.

Isla de Vieques...
Level Contributor
87 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: north or south?

Are you traveling with the children ? And what type of accommodations are you seeking? These are factors that might help us guide you.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: north or south?

No way, kid's are sharing our time away with grandmas. I've been looking at Casa de Tortuga on the south side, but wonder if we would be better off somewhere more remote.

Indiana
Level Contributor
824 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: north or south?

If no kids then Quinta Jabali. Private, plush and views that can't be beat.

just my .02

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: north or south?

Yeah, we definitely have a more strict budget than that. Looking at like 100-125 at most a night...

Isla de Vieques...
Level Contributor
87 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: north or south?

Casa de Tortuga is well-located, clean and economical. John and Marilyn who ran it last year were wonderful, but have moved on. Not sure who is running it now. Read the current reviews for update. I highly recommend Esperanza inn as an alternative--rights across the street fromTortuga.

Indiana
Level Contributor
824 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: north or south?

You might check out Hectors by the Sea, Casa Dos Chivos and HIlltop Apartment. Hectors has a pool the others don't. Hectors is close to your budget, the other two are within it. I believe Hectors has some sort of agreement with Chepito Car rental and you'll be able to get some of the best car rental rates on the island. I've stayed at Casa Dos Chivos and Hilltop. Hilltop is the cheapest, running about $650 a week. Casa Dos Chivos, which we've stayed at runs about $950 a week that time of year. Michael and Patrick's Casa Dos Chivos is a beautiful house and very well appointed. It has great breezes because of it's location and really nice ocean views. It's centrally located which makes getting to everything much easier. Your not going to walk to town from it though, nor any beach. You will need a car. We are staying at Colores Del Mar in November this year. It runs $1050 a week in April. No pool but a Jacuzzi and great views, but once again you'll need a car but the owner has one you can rent. Casita Sea Glass is another rental in your price range but it also is way out high on a hill and will necessitate a car. LA SOLANA is another nice place. It's right below Casa Dos Chivos and runs $1000 a week in April.

Those are just some we know about, there are still lots more. Go to HomeAway and set some filters to see what's available. I've tried to post a link:

http://www.homeaway.com/search/keywords:Vieques+Island%2C+Puerto+Rico/maxPrice/1000/currency/USD

hope this helps

Curt

Worcester...
Level Contributor
351 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: north or south?

In addition to all the info above....I might add 'Besos del Caribe'. Our vacation style seems similar to yours and we have enjoyed it very much. We like how it is quite there, but close enough to Isabel, that we can get into town for a drink or two if not looking to head 'all the way' to esperanza. Prices are in your range, and the apartment comes with god snorkeling gear, beach gear, and even a kayak. Depending on what you plan on doing, those items can save on some additional spending money too. They do have a car fro rent, but the price was similar to private companies. The view is amazing!