We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long did you stay?

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
How long did you stay?

How long of vacation did others take? Right now we are thinking two days of travel and 4 full days on the island but the more I look, there are about 80 things I want to cram in. We are on a pretty tight budget and will be leaving kids with grandmas so we don't want to overdo their hospitality. It will take us full days to travel, so we don't even get any parts of days there.

Indiana
Level Contributor
875 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long did you stay?

Lorrie and I say it takes at least two days to get onto "island time." So for us things don't really begin until day 4 or so. We too lose a full day traveling. We decided long ago that for us two weeks works out about right, for many, that's too long. You will exhaust the attractions Vieques has to offer rather quickly if your looking for attractions that seem commonplace to other Caribbean destinations. Vieques does not have as good of snorkeling as other nearby islands, nor does it have a plethora of night life hot-spots to see. What it has that other islands don't is white sand beaches that many claim are as good as your gonna find. Oh, it has the biobay and I highly recommend seeing it, but that's a one time experience for most. IMO if you like spending time on beaches taking it all in, with no rush at all, then two weeks go by in flash. To us Vieques is food for your soul. Imagine going somewhere without traffic lights. No interstates or fast food. No chain convenience stores or big-box retail stores. I guess what I'm getting at is that it's not so much how many "things" you have to do or see it's more how much time do you want to just "un-plug" and then re-connect, if that makes sense.

Kinda like we did a couple years ago on La Chiva, check out the video:

…blogspot.com/2011/11/slown-it-down.html

Just our take and yes we love the place.

Curt

2. Re: How long did you stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 06 July 2013, 17:11
Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
248 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long did you stay?

The first time we stayed on Vieques 3 days. The next time, we stayed 7 days and we brought the kids and mother in law. For us, it was a time to sit on the beach and relax. My wife sunbathed and read - the the kids swam, snorkled and picked up shells. Even, my mother law would just relax on the veranda and read when she tired of the beach. For me, I would search beach flats and fly fish.

I like Vieques for what it is and for what it is not.

Level Contributor
78 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long did you stay?

For the same reasons that Curt has stated we found that one week was not enough and last year and again this year we will be staying a full two weeks. IMO 4 days is not long enough to fall into the island pace and completely unplug from the rest of the world.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,212 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long did you stay?

We also stay for two weeks at a time, but we'd say give it at least a week on island if you can. When we used to do that we'd travel on Friday and head back home the following Saturday.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
111 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How long did you stay?

We stayed 5 days. It was enough to get a glimpse of the island and start to really feel at ease and settle into knowing things there. I would say it wasn't enough time....another 2-5 days and you would really get a even better feel for the place and relax. We did 3 days in OSJ after Vieques and enjoyed the combo of relaxing and activity..but again wish we had another day or 2 at least on Vieques.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,082 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How long did you stay?

any amount of time is better than none. obviously stay as long as possible.

8. Re: How long did you stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2014, 06:20