We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carry-on v. Checked Luggage & last minute ?'s

Springfield...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Carry-on v. Checked Luggage & last minute ?'s

Family of five departing the midwest for first trip to Vieques. Spending first two nights at Caleta 64 in OSJ then flying via VAL for a week-long villa stay. Villa has W/D and seemingly most amentities. Darling wife uses a heating pad for her back to sleep and believes we need to check a bag for it, sunscreen & bug spray. The rest of us carry-on and will make room for the heating pad so that is the argument for going all carry-on.

I believe it is worth it to buy the sunscreen/spray on Vieques. Comments?

Any update on the beach closures?

First time on a small plane (with family in tow). Apprehensive but tics are bought.

Seems like many restaurants are closed; what's open?

Jeep Wrangler reserved, bio-bay tour booked on new moon night, looking for an on the water outing (perhaps Little Boat Sailing)? Have received much help on this board and will provide a full report upon return.

Mentioned in this post
Isla de Vieques
Isla de Vieques
Puerto Rico
Indiana
Level Contributor
908 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carry-on v. Checked Luggage & last minute ?'s

If the only reason for checking bags is sunscreen and a heating pad then I would definitely pack the heating pad in the carry on and buy the sunscreen on the island, there's plenty available.

The plane ride is nothing you'll do just fine.

Jorge gives a great tour and I think you'll like it.

Last I saw posted, the beaches were all open with clean-up complete.

Your gonna have a blast!

enjoy and remember you'll be on island time

:-)

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,667 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carry-on v. Checked Luggage & last minute ?'s

your going to be in SJU first, buy your sunscreen there, it is cheaper. if you flying from SIG , isla grande, they do not have the security rules since your bags go in back as you board.If for some reason you would be foolish enough to pay more and go back and fly from International well, you will need to check your bags or buy it in Vieques

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,667 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carry-on v. Checked Luggage & last minute ?'s

i am not aware of restaurant closings in July, which is the height of our mini summer season.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Carry-on v. Checked Luggage & last minute ?'s

That is great news on the beaches. I'm a nervous flyer especially when the family is on board but that's the choice we made. Sounds like a trip for sunscreen in OSJ is in order. Haven't read a bad review on LBS so looking into that.

Clearly, I'm stoked and rationalizing my expectations and will take this adventure as it comes.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,096 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carry-on v. Checked Luggage & last minute ?'s

having carry on only is so convenient and quick. and when you may be pressed for time and need to catch your flight to Vieques soon after landing, the argument for carry on makes a lot of sense. But when you have time and will be in no rush, it is nice to get on a plane with no bag or suitcase. with just a magazine or backpack. it's liberating. especially when de-planing. nothing to take down and fumble with. But then the negative is the wait for your bags at the carousel. and at SJU it seems to take longer than normal. just something to consider.

Mentioned in this post
Isla de Vieques
Isla de Vieques
Puerto Rico
NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,096 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Carry-on v. Checked Luggage & last minute ?'s

oh, and please do a report.

Berne, Indiana
Level Contributor
57 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Carry-on v. Checked Luggage & last minute ?'s

We also stayed at caleta 64 two nights & then went to vieques. Have a great time!!

White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
910 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Carry-on v. Checked Luggage & last minute ?'s

If you are staying at Caleta 64 then you are in walking distance to Walgreens. Pick up your sunscreen, bug spray, sodas, snack and liquor. Supermax (supermarket) is near Walgreens for your grocery needs.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
240 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Carry-on v. Checked Luggage & last minute ?'s

If the power goes off, those stick-on pads for the back work well. I never travel without some in my bag.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,096 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Carry-on v. Checked Luggage & last minute ?'s

it is also a good idea to support Vieques' local economy by buying products there instead. it is a small gesture that makes a big difference. and the price savings isn't so big. don't waste your time bringing soda and liquor and so on. would you buy a weeks worth? whatever little money you would save could be lost if your luggage is overweight and they charge you.