We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diesel Fuel For Boat

Which Isla de Vieques hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
St. John
Level Contributor
15 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Diesel Fuel For Boat

Other than running to PR, any suggestions for moving and fueling a boat in Vieques?? say 2 -300 gals??

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
3,979 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diesel Fuel For Boat

put it on a trailer and drive it to the gas station.

St. John
Level Contributor
15 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Diesel Fuel For Boat

LOL. kinda hard when it is 45 ft!!

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,449 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Diesel Fuel For Boat

i guess you did not like the answer the first time :D

NO FUEL DOCK !

we once bought one of those oversized rolling fuel containers for the bak of the pickup. We have never used it.

You gotta go to PR, that is it, no other alternatives except hauling small amounts to the boat. it is only about 20 minutes ( 6-8 miles) in a good size boat over to the mainland.

you have tonreally want to be here, Vieques is not that boat friendly!

St. John
Level Contributor
15 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Diesel Fuel For Boat

Thanks for the advise looks like PR is the best bet!

Just looking for a part time base or possible day charter business

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,449 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Diesel Fuel For Boat

There are opportunities here. No one is offering tours or fishing in a boat that size. Perhaps trips from Esperanza to Monkey island

www.puertoricodaytrips.com/monkey-island/

or if the weather is great snorkeling trips from the north side to Culebra ( they may have reopened the fuel dock in Culebra, but I am not sure.)

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Diesel Fuel For Boat

Find out before you invest about all the government permits you will need for that kind of activity.

St. John
Level Contributor
15 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Diesel Fuel For Boat

Thanks Wholegrain for the Info! I helps a lots much appericated

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,449 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Diesel Fuel For Boat

The Vieques passage can get rough, it would comparable to the Virgin passage but a little wider. How long would it take you boat to do 6 miles in a moderate chop.

We have a 25 foot catamaran hull with twin 130s and it takes us about half an hour and it can be uncomfortable and WET, coming back is a breeze. I think tourists would not like it in our boat for 30 minutes, if you can comfortably cut the time going up wind or your boat is dryer I think Culebra day trips would be very popular. Once there , it is a breeze to circle the island or not , find great snorkeling, pull in to Dewey for a quick visit or lunch and come back.

St. John
Level Contributor
15 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Diesel Fuel For Boat

Wholegrain,

I have twin 440's , with a fish boat designed by hunt, pretty dry boat, could to 6 nm in 15 to 20 mins, without beating your brain out

Going down in a couple of weeks to check it all out.

Any advise on where to start for the business side of the permits, I have all the USCG lic, insurance etc

St. John
Level Contributor
15 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Diesel Fuel For Boat

Any advise on where to start for the business side of the permits, I have all the USCG lic, insurance etc