We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Vieques to Ricon then San Juan

Which Isla de Vieques hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Barrington, Rhode...
Level Contributor
39 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Getting from Vieques to Ricon then San Juan

First I want thank everyone for your great help from previous post including Amelia24, nytoparis, Beach_Orquid.

We are now planning 5 nights in Vieques, 2 in Ricon, and 2 in San Juan. I have all my rooms booked Hector's by the Sea, Dos Angeles del Mar Guesthouse, and Casablanca Hotel respectfully.

My next big hurdle is getting to designations. I'm flying into SJU on the second at 2:15 and plan to fly to Vieques. I am thinking of flying out from Isla Grande and purchasing round trip. Better price, plus it looks like I will have a good location to drive out to Ricon, and I will be close to Old San Juan for my final leg.

So I am looking for any input of this plan, and I am wondering about...

- Arriving at SJU at 2:15 and catching Isla Grande 5 pm flight.

- Renting car in Vieques airport for our stay.

- Car rental at Isla Grande to go out to Ricon and return before going to Old San Juan.

Thanks in advance. TravelGeneral

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,429 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Vieques to Ricon then San Juan

A couple of observations.:

There is only one car rental that will rent to you at the airport in Vieques and they will charge you for the priviledge and in my experience, since they do not always staff the desk it is not any faster. The same company Maritza, will pick you up at the airport and take you to their office at no additioanl charge. I am not sure if Avis will pick you up but even so it is only about 3 dollars PP to get to any of the other car rental agencie in a publico. Abreeze will,definetly pick you up. Sometimes the house managers of the rebtal properties will also give you a ride.

It is not really any cheaper Round trip to Fly to Vieques from Sig The difference is usually only a dollar or two. You might consider Flying back to Ceiba instead ,which is much cheaper and get a one way rental from AVIS, they are about a mile away and will pick you up.( the difference in price may compensate for the oneway charge) You could take the sothern route either around the SE portion of PR, which is very scenic or the highway thru Caguas to Ponce and possibly San German. You will see a lot of Puerto Rico which is very pretty.The island is only a hundred miles wide so getting to Rincon even with stops is not a long drive.

Should you decide to fly back to SIG be careful whom you rent a car from. Charlies is the closest to SIG and often cheap( there are no car rentals at that airport) BUT last time I rented from them the car d id not have an EAZY PASS sticker for the toll roads. The toll roads are not user friendly for tourists and many an unsuspecting soul has ended up with one or more $100 fine on their credit cards because of going thru the wrong lane. ll the major companies have stickers, the tolls are cheap only a dollar or two and will show up on your CC a few weeks later.

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Vieques to Ricon then San Juan

You have plenty of time to get to Isla Grande Airport which is about 15 minutes from SJU by taxi. The taxis are line up outside the arrival terminal exit. The fare is $15.00 + $1.00 per bag + fuel charge for up to 5 passengers.

Make sure you make reservations for air travel and for your car rentals before you come to Puerto Rico. Hertz operates out of Isla Grande Airport.

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,429 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Vieques to Ricon then San Juan

Well Yes and No. Million air, the fuel service at SIG will be happy to get Hertz to deliver a car to you at their facility. There is no Hertz desk. It is a service mainly for people arriving by private plane. There is no rental car desk or cars available on site at SIG.

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Vieques to Ricon then San Juan

Cars are available from Hertz at the airport. As I mentioned above, make your reservations in advance either by calling Hertz directly or via the internet and a car will be ready for you when you arrrive.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
3,919 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from Vieques to Ricon then San Juan

prexplorer,

are you certain that Hertz will come to SIG to get you a rental car? where would you do the paperwork? where is it expected to be returned?

Have you personally rented from them there in this manner?

I have rented from Hertz in the Million Air terminal and they did have an agent onsite. that may have changed since it is been a couple of years since I need it, but the last time I rented from Hertz and dropped it off there, I left it and Hertz eventually picked it up. All with no incident, btw.

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,429 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from Vieques to Ricon then San Juan

interesting Frankie, did you have to wait long for Millionair to come and pick you up or did you walk to there facility?

Supposedly it will work but you personLly need to call Hertz in PR to make the arrangement. They do not answer the phone. Check tne reviews on Yelp for Hertz in SJU and tnere are many complaInts , especially about tneir ability to answer phone calls. I have tried on numerous occasions and the phone just rang and rang.I have never considered this a serious possibility.

I spoke several times to Million air and they say you have to CALL Hertz directly to make the reservation, they will not do it for you. It might actually work, but personally it looks to me like an accident waiting to happen. i prefer to work with a company that has a presence , a desk and answers the phones.

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,429 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting from Vieques to Ricon then San Juan

here is the phone number for HERTZ in PR, please let us know how it goes, if that is the route you chose:

787-791-0840

Barrington, Rhode...
Level Contributor
39 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting from Vieques to Ricon then San Juan

Thanks everyone for input. I will call Hertz and let you know response. I was also thinking of going into Ceiba and see if I could drop off in San Juan on my way way back from Ricon.

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,429 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting from Vieques to Ricon then San Juan

You can definitely do that , however there will be a drop charge. . i doubt it will exceed the savings of flying to ceiba. In stead of SIG

it is a beautiful drive from Ceiba, prettier than from SJU and you would see that drive any way on the return.

many of us in Vieques can vouch for how terrific AVIS in Ceiba is. allthough it is a huge company the vieques and Ceiba Franchise is owned by a local Christian ( here that emeans a pentecostal) family that takes honesty, service and goodwill very seriously.

Edited: 12 August 2013, 01:08
Worcester...
Level Contributor
351 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting from Vieques to Ricon then San Juan

I too think ceiba, driving south to Rincon, than to sju is a great idea. If you do fly back to San Juan, the international airport verses isla grande are really no different in terms of drive out to Rincon though. Compare flights and rental out of ceiba, then flights and rental out of isla grande. See if there's a big difference. If not, go with ceiba.