We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothing

Level Contributor
254 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Clothing

My wife and i will be at the W for a week, starting next week. We intend on exploring the island and beaches, but will stay at the W complex for some of the time. Do we need dressy clothes or will jeans and shorts be enough?? My wife wants to pack 3-4 dresses and some nice shoes and i don't know if it's necessary. Thanks for your help.

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clothing

Casual dress is the norm on Vieques. The W is probably the most upscale place on the island (and that's not saying much) as the island is low key.

Edited: 03 September 2013, 17:30
Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,054 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clothing

Leave the jeans at home and pack a pair of khakis instead. Jeans are made of pretty "heavy" material and you'll feel very uncomfortable wearing them in the Caribbean heat.

If you are only coming for a week tell your wife to only bring one or two simple sundresses, that's all she'll need when dining out in the evening - no one will notice or care that she wear the same dress a few times.

Shorts and t-shirts are fine during the day. Wear the long pants and the sundresses only in the evening if you feel the urge to "dress" for dinner.

Level Contributor
254 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Clothing

Thx. Can I wear shorts and a polo shirt at most restaurants??

Berkshires
Level Contributor
286 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Clothing

Shorts and Polo are fine at all restaurants, even the W. You will want to check on which restaurants are open while you are there, some are closed until around Thanksgiving due to it being low season.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,061 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Clothing

I just want to say; it is always nice to look nice. If you think you will be going to a nice restaurant every night , then bring nice clothes. It's classy. And that's nice too.

Worcester...
Level Contributor
351 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Clothing

Similar to what frankipoo said, it is nice to dress up, if you like to. Our dress in Vieques tends to be bathing suits all day, and nicer dressed at night if we go out. Nicer dressed for me is a dress, and cute sandals/heels. For my fiancée, it is shorts(nice ones) and a collared shirt. Pants I think most definitely would be too hot. We love Vieques and its nicer restaurants because we can wear shorts and shirt(most wont even require a collar), or we could wear a dress and tie type outfit. However we feel that day!

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
4,101 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Clothing

I don't know about your Wife, but Woman usually like to dress up a little going out for Dinner.It's part of the fun of going out

Michigan
Level Contributor
943 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Clothing

3 to 4 summer dresses don't take up that much space in the luggage.

I like to dress up a bit also on vacation as I don't get a chance to wear summer dresses very often at home, some of mine can double as a swimsuit cover up the next day. Tropical vacations are wonderful times.

Level Contributor
254 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Clothing

Yes my wife loves to dress up, especially on vacation. looks like we'll bring more clothes than necessary just in case. Nothing worse than to go away on vacation and not have enough clothes or not the right type. thank you all for your help.

Stamford...
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Clothing

I am also visiting Vieques and staying at the W from the 19th-24th.

I have read that many restaurants will be closed during this time. I really hope there are still some nice places to eat at. I don't necessarily need a fancy place, I'm more interested in sampling local cusine froma hole in the wall than 5 star dining. Any thoughts on this?

Get answers to your questions about Isla de Vieques
Recent Conversations