We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cape air baggage and misc questions

Which Isla de Vieques hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
cape air baggage and misc questions

We are flying delta, then cape air onto the island. I have read their baggage policy, but don't feel like I'm comprehending it. We can each have a checked bag and a wing bag. Does that mean you keep nothing with you on the flight? So we (my husband and I) can each have a checked bag, then if he has a backpack and I have a bag, I can still keep my purse? And how does medical equipment (a CPAP) figure into things?

Second, I'll be about20 weeks pregnant, and extremely low risk. Any suggestions on what to do or anything to avoid? We are still doing the biobay but scratched horseback riding. Any roads so bad that we should avoid?

Is distilled water available on the island for the CPAP?

I'm also wondering how to best settle into island time, we are so used to being on the go, chasing after 2 kids. Also, my husband has add, so I wonder I he'll be able to slow down and relax... We go in early November.

Indiana
Level Contributor
810 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cape air baggage and misc questions

The plane is a small 9 seat Cessna. There's not much room on the planes, plus it's only a 24 min flight. We have two bags, each weighing 50lbs, my wife has a backpack plus her purse, I have my laptop case. My laptop case gets put in the wing stowage and the same with the backpack. My wife takes her purse on the plane. Our two suitcases are put in the cargo stowage on the plane. They tell you which seat you have, based on weight, they try to balance the plane. I would call Cape Air regarding the CPAP machine.

We'll be there the first two weeks of November also. You should have no problems with any roads and your pregnancy. We've found everything from Glenlivet scotch to Round-up Ultra at the grocery. I don't think you'll have any problems with the distilled water. We took some video inside one of the grocery stores:

…blogspot.com/2012/11/from-roundup-ultra-to-…

Regarding dialing into island time you can't help but shift down a notch or two, it has to do with the vibe present on the island and you don't make happen, it just does. The beauty of it all is that you find time to just sit back and be present in the moment, much like we did while watching these two young boys build/destroy their own version of the great pyramid of Khufu:

…blogspot.com/2013/02/perfect-day.html

or you could find time to take in a rainbow like we did last November, it was incredible (it's the last video on this post):

…blogspot.com/2012/11/staying-power.html

most of all enjoy, it really is a wonderful place.

:-)

Edited: 20 September 2013, 01:02
Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cape air baggage and misc questions

The CPAP could potentially go into a checked bag, but I would feel better I it is in its protective case. Thanks for the info Curt, that helps with the baggage. I was trying to find a way to avoid delta's baggage fees for one of the bags, but I'm not sure it will work.

Iowa
Level Contributor
326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: cape air baggage and misc questions

Also, make sure to tell Delta at the beginning of your trip if you are going straight through to Vieques (same day) so they will check your bags all the way through to Cape Air. If you are stopping over on the big island, there is no need.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cape air baggage and misc questions

Our tickets were purchased all together, so we should be fine on baggage. Thanks though

nire00
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cape air baggage and misc questions

Hope you enjoyed your trip to Vieques! I am planning on going there in February and will be 23 weeks pregnant at the time. Did you have any comments on limitations you may have experienced being pregnant? How was the flight on Cape Air? Thanks!

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cape air baggage and misc questions

Sorry this has taken me so long to reply to. Zero issues with cape air, it was a quick and easy flight. I did do the bio bay with Abe's and was thrilled with them. Sitting in the middle row of the 15 passenger van was not uncomfortable at all and I was comfortable on the kayak too. The only time I was uncomfortable the whole trip was on the road towards green beach, but we also drove that the first morning there when instant feeling th best to begin with from all the traveling. Hope you have a great time there!

nire00
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cape air baggage and misc questions

Thanks so much for the info - we can't wait for our trip!

8. Re: cape air baggage and misc questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2015, 06:38