We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food on Vieques

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Food on Vieques

I wanted to get some general feedback about the food on the island... As far as the grocery store, are you able to get regular groceries at all (meat, bread, fruit)? With the fisherman, can you buy fresh caught fish or lobster off of them directly? Also, i was under the impression that dining on the island was pretty cost effective but saw a review where it said some places cost them $200 for a dinner for two? All advice is welcome!

Mackinac Island...
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Food on Vieques

Hi Aslang, you can get all the same staples in Vieques as in the mainland US. One surprise for me the first trip was the price of a few everyday foods for me at home, such as apples, was much higher, but that makes sense considering how far they have to travel. Other regional items, like avocado, are much cheaper.

Dining on the island runs the full range, from food trucks to fine dining. While it is quite easy to spend $200 on a great meal for two at an upscale establishment, it is also easy to find a delicious meal for $30 in a more laid-back setting.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,082 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food on Vieques

Milady's response is a good one. When factoring in drinks and tip, you could get a $200 bill anywhere, almost.

There is a farmers market on Tuesdays but I find the quality is not much better if at all than when the main grocery gets a fresh shipment or the produce market at 200 across from the middle(is it middle or grammar?) school. His produce and selection can be very good. The farmers market is overpriced and the quality and selection has been disappointing lately.

With meat at the main grocery store it can depend on when. if you go when they get a new shipment, they have a very good selection and good butcher. Timing is everything. they may only get one, maybe two deliveries a week. If you wait too long, all the good stuff will be gone.

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,649 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food on Vieques

If you want really good meat, you can buy it at Buen Provecho, pricey but barbecuing at home is cheaper than eating out. Chicken and pork chops from the grocery store are fine.

Some of the fishermen sell direct and others take the catch to the fish market at the dock. You will only find them open around the time the fisherman come in from sea, mid to late morning. Whatever is not sold immediately is frozen on the spot.

Mackinac Island...
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Food on Vieques

Frankipoo - where is the produce market on 200, is it open every day?

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,649 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food on Vieques

Produce market on 200 is Tuesday , Wednesday and Friday from fairly early in the morning until 3;30 or 4 ( they need to pack up and return on the ferry except Tuesday night they leave the truck in Vieques)

The fruit stand on 997 is open daily. It looks like a tire store but has a big sign that says Coco Frio out front. The veggies are in a trailer behind the tires LOL!

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food on Vieques

I agree with frankiepoo's remarks about the "farmers market" and especially during the fall and winter months. If you have to have out of season berries that were shipped from south america to north america to puerto rico to vieques that is the place to go. Regardless I think the fruit stand always carries a more consistent product especially considering puerto rican based produce.

Mackinac Island...
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Food on Vieques

Thanks, Wholegrain!

Worcester...
Level Contributor
351 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food on Vieques

Regarding price ranges for eating out, it runs the spectrum! You can do a lite lunch of two pinchos and a soda for 5 bucks, or a sit down lunch with server and drinks for 50 bucks. Same principle applies to dinner. We love to have the choice! Echo the info on groceries. I would just add the pre seasoned chickens at the grocery stores are great, and with two of us, they last two dinners.

Edited: 24 October 2013, 03:40
Berkshires
Level Contributor
286 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Food on Vieques

Love those chickens! Especially on the grill.

10. Re: Food on Vieques

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2014, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Isla de Vieques