We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Logistics of Arriving at the Airport and Renting a Car

Which Isla de Vieques hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
Save Topic
Logistics of Arriving at the Airport and Renting a Car

Once you arrive at the airport, how do you get the car rental companies? Which would be the most convient from a logistics standpoint. Everything I'm reading indicates that I may have to just take what I can get, if anything, as my trip is in January. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,044 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Logistics of Arriving at the Airport and Renting a Car

You would call them to pick you up or take a publico. Nothing is more than a couple miles away. I think Avis is on the island now.

Edited: 28 October 2013, 18:58
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,183 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Logistics of Arriving at the Airport and Renting a Car

Hi, Lynn;

One company, Maritza's, has a desk at the airport. Others may pick you up if arranged when you rent. Still others will leave the car in airport parking for you to retrieve on your arrival. Or, you may have to get yourself to their location, which as noted above is never very far. There are always publicos waiting for arriving planes.

From a logistics standpoint, Maritza's is probably easiest. We always use Chepito who leaves the car waiting for us, which has the benefit of working well if your arrival is later than rental offices are typically open. We call him on arrival and he tells us where to find it, or he comes and meets us with the keys.

Edited: 28 October 2013, 21:42
Indiana
Level Contributor
824 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Logistics of Arriving at the Airport and Renting a Car

Most all car rental companies will pick you up at the airport. Like Bruce/John mentioned Maritzas has a kiosk at the airport, but you need to specify when you rent from them that your renting from the "airport" and there's a small charge for it. Maritzas main office is open until 7pm, I believe the kiosk at the airport closes at 6pm. Anyway, rent your car now and then work the logistics out with the rental agency, they're all very good at working with vacationers schedules, moreso than many mainland based car rentals. Many times you can forgo the cost of the publico at the airport and let the rental agency pick you up.

Hope this helps some

Curt

:-)

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,456 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Logistics of Arriving at the Airport and Renting a Car

Whoa Bruce and John

There are USUALLy publicos at the airport thruout the day but they hardly ever meet the last flight in the evening. I have no idea why but If guests have not made prior arrangements for the car rental company pickups ,the house managers are always having to pick up guests at the airport around 6 to 7pm because there are no Publicos. Perhaps it is because the publicos are occupied with the late afternoon ferry arrival???

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,183 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Logistics of Arriving at the Airport and Renting a Car

Happy to stand corrected, wholegrain!

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
3,979 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Logistics of Arriving at the Airport and Renting a Car

I haven't really read the other posts so sorry if I repeat something...

When you call the rental agency to find out about their rentals, ask whether the company will pick you up from the airport. ask them if they will drop you off or allow you to leave the car are the airport.

otherwise use a taxi.

have you made your flight arrangements? do you know what time you will be arriving on Vieques?

Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Logistics of Arriving at the Airport and Renting a Car

Thanks for all of the quick replies. I have made arrangements for a car rental.

8. Re: Logistics of Arriving at the Airport and Renting a Car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2014, 04:18