We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Considering Isla de Viequez in early March 2014

Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Considering Isla de Viequez in early March 2014

Some of the posts here are older - especially regarding snorkeling.

We have a few questions: is there good snorkeling off the beaches, we want to stay for 4 nights: is that enough, how is the transportation from SJU to the island on a Sunday, it looks like the beaches are beautiful - is that right, and finally, we're considering a VRBO rental - a cottage that is not on the beach - I'm assuming that's OK since the beaches are so close anywhere you are - of coarse we'll rent a vehicle.

Thanks for any information.

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Considering Isla de Viequez in early March 2014

Yes, you can snorkel off the beaches in Vieques. The best beaches on the island are in the nature preserve administered by the USFWS. Rent a jeep to get to them all.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,192 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Considering Isla de Viequez in early March 2014

Hi,

4 days is not long enough for us, but it depends on how much time you have available, what you like to do, etc. If you're someone who has to be constantly active then you may find 4 days to be just fine.

Yes, the beaches ARE beautiful, and there are plenty of them! There are few properties right on the beach which is one of the reasons the beaches are so nice. The island is small, so a rental property pretty much anywhere, as long as it suits your needs, will be "close enough"!

Ellston, Ia
Level Contributor
137 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Considering Isla de Viequez in early March 2014

We have done 3, 4 and 5 days in Vieques and it is never enough. It is hard to commit to more though because we always split our time between Vieques and Culebra. We have done Tradewinds in the past and love being right on the Malecon in Esperanza. The snorkeling right across the street is great. There was also great snorkeling at Green Beach, Mosquito Pier and Navio Beach.

This January we are using VRBO and staying about 2 blocks from the water but with much more space. We are looking forward to trying to find beaches that we have not previously made it to.

Don't forget to get your jeep rental right away as they sell out quick.

Also, don't miss out on the Bio-Bay!

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,719 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Considering Isla de Viequez in early March 2014

Seeing that your handle includes "Belize," I'd say Vieques reminded us somewhat of Placencia, when we visited before Iris, drugs & money blew it up. But with less seagrass and better near-shore snorkeling, but more pavement.

Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Considering Isla de Viequez in early March 2014

Yes, we were in Belize - actually in Placencia in early 2011. That was one of our most amazing trips. We stayed at the Green Parrot which was about a 20 minute drive or so to "downtown". The people were amazing, the tours we took were amazing as well. The Green Parrot it was rustic, but it was very quiet and very few people around. The town was surprising to me. I really hadn't been in a place that this before. But it was amazing. Nice to hear that Vieques is similar. I definately want to go there.

Our plans have changed though. We've decided on Turks and Caicos this time. We hope to stay on a quiet side of the island. Vieques is on the list of places to see however, probably next year - I can do a lot more research before going too. After doing research on this - we were going to Vieques for 4 nights, then San Juan for 3 - flying in instead of taking the ferry....it just seemed like a lot of running. We just decided we want an easier flight situation somewhere and then just stay in one location for a whole week and relax. It's been a hectic time for us in the end of 2012 and early 2013, illness and family death things, so we want to just sit somewhere warm. Turks and Caicos will be it this time.

Many thanks to everyone here who has helped me. I will keep these suggestions and info for next year for sure.

Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Considering Isla de Viequez in early March 2014

Renting a card will be fine. Please make sure you doing everything in advance. Here in Puerto Rico you have to everything in advance. If you wait until the lat minute you might find yourself in a pickle. From OSJ you will have to get the ferry in Fajardo., which is only a few dollars. They have a few different departure times. Catching the ferry during the week would be ideal, because the weekends can get pretty expensive. Have fun and be safe!

7. Re: Considering Isla de Viequez in early March 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2014, 05:17