We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Serious safety concerns

Which Isla de Vieques hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Serious safety concerns

Hello, my family and I are currently staying in Vieques for the week and have heard what sound like gunshots several separate times this evening. After hearing so much gunfire and reading reports of break-ins while people were asleep in the room - some which turned violent - I am becoming extremely concerned that the island has more than the petty crime (e.g. money stolen from cars and towels on the beach) everyone told us about.

Bottom line: How safe is Vieques?

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,901 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Serious safety concerns

Around the holidays, it's common for locals to set off firecrackers and M-80s in their yards and in the streets ... part of the whole "holiday celebration" here. Maybe that's what you're hearing .... ?

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
8,627 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Serious safety concerns

Nothing in the news this morning. Might just be firecrakers ("petardos" as we call them). Was it like a slow blast or rapid succession of blasts? The latter is more typical of firecrackers.

Hopefully someone local to Vieques can explain.

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Serious safety concerns

Yes, Vieques has more than just petty crime. Same as anywhere, there are burglaries and drug issues/crimes. Type 1 crimes are statistically high for such a small place.

However, chances are you will not have any safety problems.

Bedford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,951 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Serious safety concerns

This is very common around the US, not just in Vieques. It often heats up on new years eve. At new years eve 1999 (Y2K) I was in the south side of Chicago. We had been warned not only about fireworks, but people shooting guns in the air. The warning came from the local power company.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
3,919 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Serious safety concerns

I hope Ms. Lindsay is checking her post and responds.

If not for herself then for anyone else reading this post.

New York City, New...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Serious safety concerns

I have just gotten internet back - first, thanks all for these responses... They're very helpful.

The sounds were quite rapid for a time and given the holiday season, I am guessing they were firecrackers. It is also apparently Carnivale tonight in Esperanza which leads me to think that last night was a lead in for tonight's festivities which are expected to go until 2 a.m.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,154 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Serious safety concerns

Hope you're partaking since you're fortunate enough to be there!

Edited: 23 December 2013, 04:56
8. Re: Serious safety concerns

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 December 2014, 05:16