We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which BioBay tour is best?

MA
Level Contributor
11 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Which BioBay tour is best?

My husband & I are staying in Vieques in February with another couple. I have read multiple articles & reviews about the bio bay tour companies, and need some advice. The clear canoes sound fabulous (Vieques Adventure Company) but the owner seems a little rude in his TA responses. The other one that looks intriguing is Abe's, but his kayaks are not clear. Are the VAC canoes meant for 2 people? I'm not experienced on the water, so would prefer to have someone else with me. Also, are the later tours better than the earlier tours? I would presume so, but haven't seen much about that. All advice is welcome!

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,348 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which BioBay tour is best?

We're planning our first trip to V in 3 weeks, so I can;t answer from first-hand experience. But it looks like the VAC clear canoes are a bit deeper and less streamlined than your basic sit-aboard kayak. Not really a canoe but a pram boat, from the pictures. So it would be more stable but not as fast. I have had problems with the stability of sit-aboard kayaks, especially at night, which is why we chose VAC. They are the most expensive. I note that all the services seem to get fantastic and horrible reviews. SO go figure. It bothers me that some folks relate that they were allowed or encouraged to swim there, when that's clearly against the rules. A company that would risk the health of such a fragile ecosystem for a small personal gain is not someone I want to deal with, and I'd be glad to see them out of business. WE're on for the new moon, Jan 30.

Lancaster PA
Level Contributor
258 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which BioBay tour is best?

Yes, VAC canoes are meant for two people. Optimum tour time depends on lunar cycle. I've taken the tour every way it can be taken and have enjoyed each and every one. I will say that IF you are dealing with more moonight than is optimal the clear canoes have the edge. OR take the fun Bros. mangrove into bio-bay tour which combines both...way cool!

Enjoy Vieques!

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
3,012 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which BioBay tour is best?

Remember that most operators are from Puerto Rico. Their primary language is Spanish. IE what they write is translated. This can often change how words are interpreted, which creates the thoughts of rudeness.

Lancaster PA
Level Contributor
258 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which BioBay tour is best?

The one being mentioned is from the States and English is his first language so dolphinpr's comments do not apply here. Gary from VAC is a good guy who cares very much about the quality of his tours but sometimes can be abrupt in his communications. The tour really is wonderful and don't let previous posts deter you from scheduling if clear kayaks are the way you choose to go.

Edited: 12 January 2014, 03:07
NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,072 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which BioBay tour is best?

travelgirl said it well.

good advice.

if there is availability with VAC for the days you want, go with them.

the experience will be worth it.

MA
Level Contributor
11 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which BioBay tour is best?

Thank you all so much for your responses. We will definitely book with VAC. I now just have to decide which date is best (2/25, 2/26, 2/27, 3/1, 3/2), and whether to book the 7pm or 9pm tours. Looking forward to it.

Michigan
Level Contributor
97 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which BioBay tour is best?

We are due in Vieques in March for 2 weeks. We definitely want to do Biobay tour. Is this something that we can just pick our day once we get there? Or do you have to make reservations ahead of time? Thanks - Sharon from Michigan

Lancaster PA
Level Contributor
258 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which BioBay tour is best?

Tour size is limited and March is high season so they do sell out. I would say if there is a specific day or time or tour group you're really hoping for book ahead, if you are ok with any day of the lunar calendar or tour time you could reserve once you get to VQS.

Enjoy VQS!

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
491 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which BioBay tour is best?

Definitely make a reservation before you go. We went in lower season and several were sold out.

We decided to go with Abe's instead of VAC because of reviews. Great choice. They were great. I didn't miss having a clear kayak at all. I went with my husband. We did the latest tour (10 or 10:30) and that was the best! We were the last tour on the bay and it was awesome. THey are two person kayaks. The guide wears a little flashing like so you know where he is. Every so often they have you link and call out numbers so he knows that you're nearby and can save you if you've fallen off (didn't happen with our tour).

Fort Worth, TX
Level Contributor
26 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which BioBay tour is best?

VAC was wonderful. See my review. I would go with them again. Gabriel was our leader. Funny and knowledgeable. Clear canoe was a must. The tour only had 7 canoes so I felt secure. The van had a lift on it and we only bottomed out once. It wasn't so bad😊