We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I worry about my Jeep rental arrangement?

O K
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Should I worry about my Jeep rental arrangement?

We have hopefully secured our rental jeep from "Mario" as many rentals were already gone as we suspected. This option was just one of the names on the list of rental agencies and options provided by our inn/ guesthouse. My question is this: I have been reading on the forums that it is not legal, (or covered by insurance) to rent from a homeowner. Does anyone have any experience with Mario? Is he considered a legit business? Is there any need to worry? I've been told he is also a taxi service. Thanks.

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,537 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I worry about my Jeep rental arrangement?

never heard of Mario !

If he is not one of the advertised 6-7 licenced car rentals agency's he is uhhh NOT LICENSED. He will probably have a car for you but YOU ARE NOT COVERED BY INSURANCE. Drive at your own risk but understand everything you own is at risk. this is still America and the legal system is the same. !

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,537 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I worry about my Jeep rental arrangement?

It is really SIMPLE! ask that he send you a scanned copy of his PR issued permit to rent vehicles. If you get the run around and you will. You can surmise the truth!

IT IS WHAT IT IS!

Indiana
Level Contributor
842 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I worry about my Jeep rental arrangement?

I wonder if this is who the OP is talking about:

Mario Acabá Car Rental

787-741-2394, 787-453-1931, 787-741-4413FX

Plaza, Bo. Montesantos Vieques PR

I have no idea if they have a license or not.

:-)

O K
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I worry about my Jeep rental arrangement?

Thanks guys. I appreciate it, and will investigate further.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I worry about my Jeep rental arrangement?

I thought that if you have a rental property, you are allowed to rent up to two vehicles???

not all laws are the same for PR and the USA.

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,537 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should I worry about my Jeep rental arrangement?

Frankiepoo

That is a myth . ONLY licenced rental car companies are allowd to rent cars! No one else. Not guest houses or villa owners, it s against the law, do what you want but proceed with eyes wide open!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
41 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should I worry about my Jeep rental arrangement?

Based on my experience where we hit a tree backing up on a beach and caused $2000 worth of damage, I would go with an insured company that can work with your credit card insurance. Maritza's handled it all with ease.

Rachel

www.postcardplans.com

8. Re: Should I worry about my Jeep rental arrangement?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2015, 07:18