We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach survey

Which Isla de Vieques hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
187 posts
Save Topic
Beach survey

Hello I am trying to get an understanding of the various beaches on vieques in terms of proximity to Esperanza, services available ( restaurants, music, chairs, etc.) and natural beauty factor. Any tips or personal favorites are welcomed! Thanks:)

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,434 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach survey

well I answered in another thread and here is a cut and paste:

Jessie s

If you want beaches with amenities, Vieques is not for you at all! Our beaches are pretty close to the way Columbus found them ( well Palm trees were planted later) and a few have Bohios , which are shade houses but nothing else.

Esperanza is sort of beach front and there are lots of bars/restaurants across the street.

Sunbay has restrooms but it is huge long beach and it might be a hike from where you set up.

There are no services, no bars , no Vendors nothing on the other beaches, think Natioanal park.

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,434 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach survey

Those who love Vieques like the beaches for their uncrowded wild beauty. You can find 100 yards or two or three all to yourself with out trying to hard. each beach has its own attraction and the fun part is deciding for yourself which is the most beautiful.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,056 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach survey

Aside from what facilities you will find at Sun Bay, the beaches have no structures other than the occasional shade roof. Empty. And the majority of them are accessible only on extremely rough roads, often with monster puddles, mini-lakes really. So you will need a Jeep and a bit of nerve. But the payoff is having the place to yourself for the most part, except maybe Red or Green beaches. Personally I enjoyed la Chiva the most. But you don't want to pick up anything there that resembles a bomb.

On the way back from the southern beaches we noticed that someone had dropped a concrete block in one of the puddles. That would be a nasty surprise. SO be careful out here.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
187 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach survey

Thanks all !

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
3,932 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach survey

the road to red beach is paved. the bohios or "shade roof" there have benches.

the road to blue beach is not crater pocked and it also has bohios.

the road to sun bay is part paved.

for two nights, a car would be good but not necessary. you can get to sun bay by walking and red or blue by taxi.

also the beach in esperanza is very nice.

Indiana
Level Contributor
815 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach survey

"And the majority of them are accessible only on extremely rough roads, often with monster puddles, mini-lakes really. So you will need a Jeep and a bit of nerve."

dhauk...I realize that when you came to Vieques there was more rain than usual, plus the bio-bay was/is on the fritz, but I have to take exception with this non-stop rant about the all the roads being nearly impassable.

Yeah, the road out to Navio is a real bad one, but it has been that way for ever. The refuge beaches are all easy to get to. I've been driving out to La Plata for the last week and it's very doable and it's the furthest one out. I even saw a guy on a bicycle come out there. I'll video tape the drive out to La Plata tomorrow and post it out on my blog for all to see. There's dust flying on the gravel road into Chiva and like Franki said the road to Caracas is paved. If those roads are too much then I say don't leave the city.

Bottom line, this is NOT Roatan, Maui or facsmile. If that is/was what your expecting then you didn't do your homework. This is not your quintessential cookie cutter tropical island, please spoon feed me, destination.

Don't mean to come off brash, but I spend a lot of time on Vieques and disagree with your road descriptions.

Ok..now Jessie I noticed in another post you mention hiking to red or black sand beach. I know your not going to be hiking to red beach, unless of course your secretly some kind of world class marathoner. Black beach is maybe, just maybe, doable but man your gonna be dog tired after that hike. Besides, black sand beach is not really a big beach, nor is it really a swimming beach.

Close to Esperanza you've got Sun bay. Big, huge crescent shaped beach. Tons of palms, plenty of shade. Walkable/hikable from Esperanza. You might be able to continue onward and go to Media Luna from Sun Bay if your in really good shape. Media Luna is a smaller protected beach. Calm and you can walk way out into the water, great for kids.

If it were me, I would rent a car or hire a taxi to take me out to Playa Chiva. Great beach, huge and there are shelters but there's also plenty of palms to hide out under that are super comfy. I was just there yesterday and took pictures. We parked at turnout #7. You can see pictures here if your interest:

…blogspot.com/2014/02/turnout-7.html

Like I already mentioned, I'll take some video tomorrow of the drive into the refuge and post it out on the blog. It's not all that bad.

I hope this helps some Jessie

Curt

boston
Level Contributor
525 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach survey

We are coming in two weeks and I absolutely can not wait. Seems like its been snowing here since October!! Any suggestions for a beach with a little wave action? My other half loves to body surf. We will have a jeep and are not afraid to drive or hike. Suggestions appreciated.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
187 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach survey

Thanks all for the suggestions. I understand what vieques is and what it is not and I was just looking for descriptions of the various beaches from the experts ! Thanks for the feedback !

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
3,932 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach survey

Navio is where most people body surf. and gringo beach

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,056 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beach survey

Geez, Curt, first you disagree with my assessment that the outer beach roads are rough and then you say

Yeah, the road out to Navio is a real bad one, but it has been that way for ever.

In my estimation that Navio road is not nearly as bad as road to Chiva. And that road west to green Beach is not just horrible, but it goes on that way for 3 km.

So I guess we are in complete agreement. If you want to see ALL the beaches, take a bicycle or motorbike or a jeep, not a car. Yes there are beaches that are accessible on paved or gravel surface, but then that surface gives way to comically rough road, if you want to go out to the end of the road.

This is in no way to knock the island. WE loved it and considered the roads an adventure. I recommend the island and the roads highly. But even after doing my usual research, I did not encounter anything anywhere about how bad the OUTER roads were, so I brought it up. I would have appreciated having had it mentioned in the TA forum, rather than hearing someone supposedly so knowledgable about the island deny reality. And if there were large deep puddles on the roads during the dry season, what must it be like in the rainy season?