We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Culebra or Vieques? Places to stay

Which Isla de Vieques hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pickerington, Ohio
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Culebra or Vieques? Places to stay

I am so glad I found this forum. Vieques and Culebra have been on my bucket list since I read an article about them in a travel magazine. Our main interest is snorkeling of course and a place to stay with a great view of the water (imagine that!) any ideas or experiences on both Islands would be great. Could be fun to spend a little time on both Islands.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
142 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Culebra or Vieques? Places to stay

I love Culebra, and can't wait for my first visit to Vieques (71 Day Countdown), but I didn't think the snorkeling was that exciting in Culebra and I've heard Vieques is worse than Culebra. Did I snorkel on both trips to Culebra, yes, did I see stuff, yes, but it wasn't like OMG this is amazing.

Unless you plan on a 10 day trip I wouldn't split your time. I personally think, even thought they are small islands, you need at least 5 days to really enjoy the laid back vibe and casually visit all the different beaches, etc.

Recommending places to stay is going to be hard for people without any idea of your budget or preferences on hotel/guesthouse vs renting a home. We've done both and prefer renting houses, much more private and nicer for longer trips. Check out VRBO, you will get a good idea of what rentals are available.

2. Re: Culebra or Vieques? Places to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 February 2014, 22:05
Edited: 27 February 2014, 22:05
Vieques
Level Contributor
3,434 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Culebra or Vieques? Places to stay

Vieques has a dozen STUNNING beaches, Culebra has one that is breathtaking but often has hundreds of day tripping or camping teenagers from the big island, reminds me of the jersey shore in the summer, there are vendors and loud music and lots of activity. the other really nice beach has house behind it.

You will not find anything like that on Vieques. NONE of our fabulous beaches have any houses on them, let alone any hotels or masses of people or vendors. It is a matter of preferences. Understand locals love to party and the idea of a great venue includes lots of music, food and camping and Culebra fits that bill better than Vieques.

rent a house, enjoy the Snorkeling understanding that it is pretty darn good but not comparable to the worlds great sites in the Red Sea, , Roatan or Great Barrier Reef LOL! Or even the Virgin Islands. But it is NICE.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
3,933 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Culebra or Vieques? Places to stay

I agree with both posts.

Culebra has some great snorkeling and should not be discounted, but I do believe Vieques offers a better vacation all around. Especially bang for the buck. And Vieques has some really fun beach snorkeling and a couple of awesome sites.

There can never be any comparison between pacific diving and caribbean/atlantic diving. Pacific diving will always be superior. But for what Vieques offers, including the almost restored bio bay and other attractions, Vieques is a great spot.

I also agree that you should rent a house. I recently stayed at La Sirena and was wowed by it. It is listed in VRBO so check it out. Really a spectacular place with AMAZINg views and ambiance.

Edited: 28 February 2014, 03:29
usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Culebra or Vieques? Places to stay

My post above was removed for no good reason as there was nothing controversial about it, and I have a pretty good idea who was behind it!

Flamenco Beach is nothing like the Jersey shore. The fact is that it is the most beautiful beach in Puerto Rico, crowds or no crowds. It is so large that it is never fully covered. Crowds are heavy in the summer months when Puerto Ricans take vacations and school is out, but such is not the case during the winter months. Aside from Flamenco Beach there are the beautiful beaches of Playa Resaca and Playa Brava where virtually no one goes. Zoni Beach is another long expansive beach which is almost always deserted. These beaches are larger and more expansive than any beach in Vieques. Aside from that, there is the beautiful island of Culebrita and it's beaches which is simply breathtaking.

Edited: 28 February 2014, 05:35
El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,795 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Culebra or Vieques? Places to stay

I think the OP should spend a few days on each island and decide for themselves!

Everyone has their own favorite, but everyone is different and looking for different things.

I have been to the Jersey shore - neither island is remotely like it.

For snorkeling, I prefer Culebra. For variety of sandy beaches, Vieques wins.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
3,933 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Culebra or Vieques? Places to stay

Obviously, WG made the comparison between beaches with reference to the amount of people on it, and I can say from being at both, Flamenco is very crowded, like a NY beach. It was so crowded the last couple of times I was there that we turned around and went back to zoni. It is so crowded, it's beauty and appeal is greatly diminished. at least for people like me that want to get away from the crowds and the noise and the rudeness of having to listen to several different sets of music all at once. It is not easy to relax and read a book while on flamenco when it is crowded. And it is crowded, not just in the summer.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
142 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Culebra or Vieques? Places to stay

Things must have really changed in the last couple of years for Flamenco to be that crowded. Both times I was there it wasn't crowded at all, granted we were there mid May and October, both times not high season.

Also people tend to gather closest to the campground and facilities, if you walk away from that area you should have plenty of room to spread out and have some quiet time.

Culebra was amazing, we loved all the beaches. Can't wait to check out what Vieques has to offer.

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,912 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Culebra or Vieques? Places to stay

We were in Culebra at the end of January 2014, and we spent time at Flamenco, Zoni, Tamarindo, Carlos Rosario, Soldado, Melones, and Playa Larga. None were crowded. Zoni, Carlos Rosario, Melones, and Larga had 1 or 2 other small groups on them. Soldado was empty.

I don't recall hearing any loud music on any of the beaches.

10. Re: Culebra or Vieques? Places to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2015, 05:18