We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worth it?

Seattle, Washington
10 posts
Save Topic
Worth it?

Hi Everyone!

I am traveling to Vieques in April with my mom and wondering if it's worth it to spend a little extra for something closer to the beach... thats probably not as private or as equipped.

I'm finding a lot of hilltop options that are very nice with pools but little in the way of beachfront. Should I continue to search for the perfect beachfront digs or is the island small enough that we won't even notice the distance?

We plan on spending most of our time at the beaches but hope to have something nice to come home to as well... views are pretty important. As are quiet nights - I'm a light sleeper.

I know, I know, I should have started this months ago when I booked our flights but I got distracted with the itinerary and had initially planned on skipping the islands all together.

Any input greatly appreciated!

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worth it?

the beach that a house would be on would most likely not be the beach you want to spend much time on. The homes on beaches are on the north side, generally. Thats the atlantic side. great for walking and good for swimming, but it is the south side caribbean beaches you will want to be at.

I say go for a house with a pool. you will not be disapointed.

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worth it?

The best beaches in Vieques, i.e., undeveloped white sand beaches with clear waters are located in the nature preserve administered by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. You will need to rent a vehicle to get to them, so beachfront is not a necessity if they are your focus.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
442 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worth it?

Don't limit your search to beach side houses. There's a wide selection of hillside/hilltop vacation rentals at varying prices.

Worcester...
Level Contributor
351 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Worth it?

I guess it depends on what is most important to you. As mentioned before, the best beaches are in the reserve or Sun Bay area, where there are not any houses. So, you will be driving to them regardless. If it means a lot to you to wake up and stroll along A beach right from your house, regardless of if its one of the best or not, than by all means spend the extra money. As you will be glad you did. If what is more important are views, privacy and quiet, than pick the house with those items in the forefront.

I think it is hard to ask others, what you should or shouldn't splurge on. Everyone will have a different opinion!

We prefer views, privacy and quiet, but that is just us!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
51 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Worth it?

Vieques is one of my favorite places...it has NO cruise ship port and IS NOT just a hop, skip and a jump from the mainland so there are way more locals and expats than tourists. I think that anywhere you stay in Vieques, if you want to have a worthwhile experience, you need to rent a car. Even if you are close to the beach (and there are lots of beautiful beaches so why limit yourself to just one) there is so much else to see and do. Besides the best beaches are not near most of the accommodations. I think you will be frustrated not being able to get around on your own. Hope this helps :)

If you do rent a car then search Trip Advisor for tips on car rental in Vieques. We had no problem at all but that's in part because we followed the advise of people who posted about car rental in Vieques on Trip Advisor.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,192 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Worth it?

A comment on the "quiet nights" aspect: we'd suggest when you are looking at places on line that you read all the comments to see if there are any negative mentions about noisy surroundings. You may also want to come back here with a short list to see if any of the regulars have knowledge of the properties and their surroundings. You're probably going to be wanting windows that seal and AC.

Vieques is filled with dogs and roosters so nocturnal peace and quiet is not always guaranteed!

Lancaster PA
Level Contributor
255 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Worth it?

If you love to drink your morning coffee within a stone's throw of the ocean, sit on the beach and take a quick dip or are a snorkeler I must add that La Chata is all of that and more. There is a misperception that you cannot stay on a beach that you'd like to spend the day at and I must respectfully disagree. I wish I could post a pic of how lovely La Chata has been over the last month that I've stayed at a beachfront house there. I didn't miss driving to the beach at all :)

Oh and another fringe benefit...the sound of the waves is a natural white noise machine minimizing any dogs barking or neighborhood noise...and there aren't any roosters nearby either although they actually don't bother me.

Edited: 08 March 2014, 02:16
Lancaster PA
Level Contributor
255 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Worth it?

Don't know if this link will work but both pics were taken in April and show the water at La Chata on a calm and a wave day...I don't swim when the waves are large but the surfers love it and when the Atlantic is a lake the snorkeling is great!

https:/…

9. Re: Worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2015, 05:19