We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Review

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,867 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Review

One note- we don't vacation like normal people-we go,go,go then crash early. We can sit on a beach for about 15 mins before we have to "do" something. Food not so important to us, though everything we had was good.

Stayed 3 nights on Vieques at Casa Luna Llena in Esperanza. We liked the house and the location very much. It was loaded with all the things we needed - chairs and cooler, hose to clean the car! etc.

Arrived at 11:15 flying from Ceiba on Air Flamenco. Got taxi to Maritza's and got our Jeep. Stopped at the Green Store and got some groceries, stopped to get BBQ chicken for lunch from the orange stand and then went to the house and check in and eat.

After that we went to Media Luna, and Navio, then went to Epseranza and did some gift shopping, and watched the sunset during dinner at Banana's. Then the biobay with Blackbeards. Malecon was hopping as we drove through on way home.

Day 2- we did the N/NW side of the island- starting with collecting sea glass at Cofi, picked up sandwiches in town and then down (Ceiba tree, some beach stops for pictures just off road). Did an interesting snorkel at end of Mosquito Pier- not for beginners. Saw a turtle among the pilings. Blackbeards was there doing shore dives- the dive master was helpful talking about the current before we went and the turtle id afterwards (Hawksbill). Then down to Punta Arenas. We have decided we can skip this beach in the future- the road is long and bad. We then searched for the bunkers. The big ones were easy to see but some of the roads have not been cleared lately and it was not really passable with the Jeep-- biking would be better. Sunset at SunBay (sand fleas were mean!) then dinner at Duffy's

Day 3- Off to find some forgotten historic beauties (lots of scratches) then onto the F&W area. Did the new hiking trails and then to Caracas. Lunch at Belly Buttons. Then to Plata and Chiva. We did a couple snorkels- saw lion fish and more turtles. Sunset at the Sugar Pier and then Orquedea's for dinner.

Day 4- A quick drive up past I2 to check out some more historical sites, got gas, then back to F&W to Pata Prieto. Then had to go to house to check out. Stopped at the Historical Trust and talked with the Director. Afterwards, since we had all our stuff in car, so we decided to set up at Caracas for a while. Ate lunch at airport-Isla Nene before flight.

We had a good trip. We have stayed in Bravos and the center of the island and so far like staying in Esperanza the best (worked for us so we didn't have to drive after a few beverages at sunset). The bio bay is a must and doing it by kayak was easy and let us play with the water easily. For white sand, blue water- stick to the beaches east of Esperanza. Snorkeling was good- not a ton of coral reef, but things living in and on the rocks on the beach sides. We will be back.

Mentioned in this post
Flamenco Beach
Flamenco Beach
3,215 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Caracas
Caracas
Capital Region, Venezuela
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,245 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Review

Nice report, Flowerfarm. You did a lot in a few days!!

How did you like the trails? Are they easily managed in trainers/boarding shoes?

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,867 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Review

The trails were in good shape- packed dirt, some loose stones. 3 of them off of the one trailhead.- one to Playuela beach, one to a secluded beach and one to the cliffs. There is a great view of the cliffs and lighthouse if you happen to wander off the longest trail onto one of the little paths just before the end.

Any hard sole shoe would do- I was in Teva's. Ray had to pick out a thorn that went through his thinner sole.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,245 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Review

Thanks!

Punta Santiago...
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Review

Great report Flowerfarm! Sounds like you got around and had fun.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
865 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Review

Great Report, FF!

"One note- we don't vacation like normal people-we go,go,go then crash early. We can sit on a beach for about 15 mins before we have to "do" something. Food not so important to us, though everything we had was good."

This reads a lot like the way we approach things, as well. We use it to narrow down the very best parts of a trip, and take note of the details. Should we return on another trip to the same area, we spend more time on the things we like the most and cut back on the rest. There are just some things we fall in love with, and might do over dozens of times. That probably is not like normal people.

OE

Boston...
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Review

Great Report!

May I ask how much were you charged for the taxi (I'm guessing the publicos do not take you there?) ride to Maritza's? I am going to Vieques in May and have a reservation with Maritza's.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Isla de Vieques
Isla de Vieques
Puerto Rico
El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,867 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Review

It was $5 per person.

But I think you can call Maritza's and they might pick you up. I read that in someone else's review.

Boston...
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Review

Thanks.

I will call Maritza's and see if we can work anything out, but I am just preparing for the worst.

By the way, did you have to arrange for a taxi to pick you up as well or were there taxis waiting at the airport?

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,867 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Review

Taxi vans are just waiting outside the airport .

boston
Level Contributor
582 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Review

We landed at the airport and called Maritza's. Before we had finished our cocktail, they were there to pick us up. On the return we were brought by a small van with two other couples. They were terrific to deal with.