We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking at Night in Esperanza

Fayetteville...
Level Contributor
34 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Walking at Night in Esperanza

My fiance & I will be visiting in June & staying at Casa Alta Vista. We chose to only rent a Jeep for one day to explore. After reading about an increase in crime, is it safe to walk from Belly Buttons Cafe to our rental after a Bio Bay tour at night? It is our first trip to PR & my first off of the US "mainland" and trying to get an idea of what to expect. Thank you!

Indiana
Level Contributor
908 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking at Night in Esperanza

Paula,

If I remember correctly, your rental is not far at all from Belly Buttons (others correct me if I'm wrong here, I think Alta Vista is just west of Belly Buttons on Calle Flamboyan?).

Anyway your gonna do fine and the island is fine. I wish there was a way for me to quantify what I know about Vieques and specifically regarding crime. I personally would be more worried about walking at night in parts of Miami. I have met so many genuine, polite, gentle people on Vieques. The news regarding crime rate increase is/was directly related to drug trafficking, or at least that's what people who live on the island (and I trust) have told me. And, believe it or not, the consensuses is that petty crime has diminished because of the news you site.

You will be out of your element, but this is not some hostile environment where "gringos" are targeted and swiftly taken advantage of. Would I be running around the Malecon @ 3am? NO. Same as back here at home. There are things that go one at that time of night, no matter where you live, that you shouldn't be party to. Late nights, alcohol lead to bad outcomes no matter where you are on planet earth.

I don't mean to be brash, but these Viequense are people like us, trying to live their lives, raise children and find peace. One of the things that amazes my wife and I is that you see NO pj pants or scooter bound people in the groceries. Many times the ladies are dressed very beautifully and it's not uncommon to see men in short sleeve dress shirts. I find this refreshing, especially for such a poor small island.

You are staying at probably the most "toursity" spot on Vieques. Esperanza and the Malecon can be noisy at certain times. June might not be quite as busy as say Feb or March. I've jogged from the Hacienda to the middle of Esperanza in the early morning, this was March. All I encountered were sharply dressed children (in uniforms) waiting for the school bus. That and some older gentlemen sitting on the benches along the Malecon watching the sunrise.

Your gonna have a great time Paula, enjoy Vieques.

hope this helps some

Curt

Edited: 10 April 2014, 21:53
Mentioned in this post
Belly Buttons
Belly Buttons
589 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Esperanza
Esperanza
Isla de Vieques, Puerto Rico
pa
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking at Night in Esperanza

Well said Curt!

Fayetteville...
Level Contributor
34 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking at Night in Esperanza

Thank you Curt! I do appreciate your honesty with everything. We realize that common sense is going to go along way but knowing that our rental is close to Belly Button's definitely makes me feel better just because it’s an unfamiliar place. As you said, I would be the same in any big city here.

Your input really did help, thanks again!

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,667 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking at Night in Esperanza

Belly Buttons is only one of half a dozen or more restaurants all in the same area, you will have choices of where to walk to..

But you won't be walking from Belly buttons at night, it is only open for breakfast and lunch :D

Edited: 11 April 2014, 14:56
Mentioned in this post
Belly Buttons
Belly Buttons
589 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Vieques
Level Contributor
3,667 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking at Night in Esperanza

Whoops I take that back, sometimes they have specials like Paella night with Waldo.

Fayetteville...
Level Contributor
34 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking at Night in Esperanza

I have a Bio Bay scheduled for at night and the group is supposed to meet at Belly Buttons at night. Thank you for the info on when they are open though!

Mentioned in this post
Belly Buttons
Belly Buttons
589 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Berkshires
Level Contributor
291 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking at Night in Esperanza

They also have BBQ nights which was quite tasty.

8. Re: Walking at Night in Esperanza

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 April 2015, 05:16