We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Isla grande vs Cieba

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
37 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Isla grande vs Cieba

We are trying to find a less expensive route to vieques from sju. We don't want to do the ferry. I am trying to decide if we want to fly to sju, take a cab to Cieba and fly out for about $30 each way per person. How long is the drive from sju to Cieba mid afternoon on a Saturday in July? I know the ride would cost around $80 for up to 5 people. Then my other choice is to fly to sju, take a cab to isla grande and fly to vieques. How long is the ride from sju to vieques? Looks like $ 150 rt per person. Does anyone have advice on which route is better....easier?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
12 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Isla grande vs Cieba

The flight from Isla Grande is about a half hour. Looks like you have the price right but beware of "extra weight" charges (on either route). Some airlines will charge for baggage weight (including carry-ons) of over 25 pounds per person (at $.70/lb.). Despite taking more time, with five people, it will be significantly less expensive to fly from Cieba.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,083 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Isla grande vs Cieba

how many people?

exactly what time do you arrive at sju? will you have checked bags?

if you have the time, taking a pre arranged car service to Ceiba can be very economical for a large group. the more people, the less per-person cost there is. renting a car may be even cheaper. but will take more time since you have to rent the car, get gas then drop off the car. but it also gives you the ability to go shopping or you may want to go to el Yunque for a quick visit or see something else on the way.

what about the return?

sju to Ceiba allow 90 minutes

sju to isla grande 20 minutes

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,661 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Isla grande vs Cieba

For five people you would save a considerable amount by going to Ceiba and flying from there. The ride takes about 60 minutes . It shouldn't be a problem time wise if you actually arrive in SJU by 3pm, the last flight is at 5:30pm

Isla Grande is usually no more than 20 minutes from SJU. From Isla Grande to San Juan can take much longer At the afternoon rush hour.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
37 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Isla grande vs Cieba

There are 3 adults and 2 children with at least 2 checked bags. We arrive at sju at 2:30. I don't want to have the hassle of renting a car. What prearranged car service to ceiba so you recommend? Thanks for the advice

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,661 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Isla grande vs Cieba

There are several, Others on here do that more often than I do. I have used Julian's Transportation service. they have a web site.

Edited: 27 April 2014, 12:03
NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,083 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Isla grande vs Cieba

I use John of Johns public. I have used him exclusively for 8 years and have never had any issues. His English is perfect so there are no communication barriers. you wont go wrong. johnspublico@yahoo.com.

the math for 5 flights from isla grande, assuming everyone gets in one cab is $25 to $30 for cab(or x two if you need two cabs) then 5 x $72 to total around $385 one way.

Ceiba; $90(with tip) car service plus 5x $34(or $30) to equal $260. that's about 1/3 less. that's pretty significant.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
943 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Isla grande vs Cieba

We use John's Publico and never had a problem.

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,661 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Isla grande vs Cieba

To relieve your mind, the cabs an prices are controlled by the tourism company,Ther is a podium as you exit baggage claim, they will not split you up, many if not most of the vehicles are vans, and if the next cab in line happens to be a sedan, they will bring one up from the back of the line if needed.

That is not a concern.

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Isla grande vs Cieba

Are cabs running out to Cieba/Fajardo available well into the evening? We arrive at 7:30 pm with a reservation on Vieques the next day. Was considering spending night 1 in San Juan, but now thinking it makes more sense to get a cab out to Fajardo as soon as we arrive. That way we can try to get on the ferry early, with Ceiba flight as a back up plan.

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,661 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Isla grande vs Cieba

The tourism company assigns the cabs, they pretty much have to go wherever they are sent. However, Fajardo and Ceiba can be pretty boring at night and it is slim pickings as to where to stay.

Get answers to your questions about Isla de Vieques