We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What would you do next?

Middleburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
411 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
What would you do next?

We are spending one week during late December with my daughter, her husband and three grand girls in Fajardo. They must return, but my husband and I have decided to stay another week since we are recently retired (yeah, no vacation requests!) We have never been to PR.

My question is ,in your opinion, should we stay put? go to Culebra?, Isla de Vieques or head to St. John?( which I am tempted to do because we have been there twice and love it.) Thanks.

Edited: 02 May 2014, 15:57
King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,262 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What would you do next?

I would definitely do Culebra or Vieques. These islands are different from the main island of PR.

No. Illinois
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What would you do next?

Congratulations on your retirement! We just retired, too, yeah! I would do one of the islands too. I haven't been there yet but I'm really wanting to check it out. Have fun!

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What would you do next?

since you are already in PR, do either Culebra or Vieques.

you have been to St John already so try something new.

what do you want from your second week? your first week will likely be very hectic, no? so you want to relax the second week?

do you snorkel/scuba? love the beach? like to relax? drink? enjoy good restaurants? like to explore? hike? kayak? bike? If no, Vieques/Culebra probably wont work for you. if those things do appeal to you, I say go to Vieques. it has all that.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,197 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What would you do next?

We completely understand the allure of going with what you know- in our case, we just cant stop coming to Vieques!

However, this is a bit of a bonus week, no? Why not make a change and try something new? Vieques is all the Frank has described, and we'd add that its even the perfect place for some retirement romance!!

Middleburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
411 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What would you do next?

Thanks TA friends. I think I will look into Vieques for the second week. Yes, our first week with the kids will be fun but hectic...so, drinks on the beach sounds very appealing. We love to snorkel, so hope we can do that as well. Now on to researching the how to get there and where to stay stuff. Suggestions for that would be appreciated . Thanks again!

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,535 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What would you do next?

Rent a villa, something pretty and romantic, Isabel, and Bravos de Boston have dozens of villas on or close to the ocean.There are also many choices mid island with beautiful views. I love walking to a least a few things , like a bakery or a few restaurants so always pick accommodations in or near a vi8llage, if it doesn't matter look in the hills.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,902 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What would you do next?

wholegrain are there any specific villas you recommend. We also like being able to walk to some things even when we rent a vehicle. We'll either be couple or 2 couples.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What would you do next?

you can take a 8 minute flight from Ceiba(town next to Fajardo) for $34. so getting there is simple.

rent a car from someone that will pick you up at the airport or meet you with the car there.

if you rent a private home, most times the caretaker will(sometimes for a fee and sometimes as part of the rental) help get your car before they bring you to the house.

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,535 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What would you do next?

There are dozens of nice villas. You could look at Touch of Glass,Isola,any one of the apartments in Villa UNO Vieques, Villa La Sirena, Breakers , the amazing lower unit of Bravos by the Sea, Casa de Amistad , Bravos House and Los Cocos. These are all pretty much right on the water ( not beach except for one) or very close with phenomenal views.That list is in order from the closest to town to further out but all not far from the center of Isabel and lots of different price ranges.Two properties I am affiliated with, are on that list. They can all be found on VRBO/Homeaway. Punch in your dates and check which ones might be available and the rates.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,902 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What would you do next?

THANK YOU. I looked at SO many yesterday. Our first choice would probably be Los Cocos. The lack of AC is going to rule it out. We just spent a wk in Salt Cay with no AC and my asthma became a real issue. So we will want AC at least in the Bedroom(s). I am sure your suggestions are good ones. Looks like an afternoon to mix a cocktail and review these options! Our dates are flexible so we like to choose the accomodation before becoming fixated on a date.

Get answers to your questions about Isla de Vieques