We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are the beaches free?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
70 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Are the beaches free?

Do the beaches cost anything to go into?

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,935 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Are the beaches free?

No. Beaches are free.

Though it does cost $2 to park at Sun Bay.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
70 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are the beaches free?

Thanks. I was a bit confused after reading the reviews on beaches.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,197 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are the beaches free?

The Sun Bay park is free to enter on Monday & Tuesday, $2 on the other days as previously noted. They stop collecting around 4:00 pm so access after that time is also free.

The beaches within the park are Sun Bay, Media Luna, and Navio.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are the beaches free?

except during Easter week, and maybe Three Kings week, I have only noticed parking fees charged at Sun Bay on Saturday and Sunday.

That may have changed but I haven't noticed it.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,197 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are the beaches free?

Frankipoo, in our experience there has been someone manning the booth from Wednesdays through the weekend. But they seem to close the booth for lunch, as well.

Maybe it's a seasonal thing?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
70 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are the beaches free?

Thanks. I will just make sure to always have a little cash with me just in case.

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,534 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are the beaches free?

it is pretty erratic. Sometimes they have someone there often and there have been times when there is no one collecting for months on end. lately every time I go there has been a toll collector.

New London, New...
Level Contributor
366 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Are the beaches free?

that's what I like about vieques, most of the "fun stuff" is free. Sun bay has a chump change parking charge--sometimes. But compare that to the stupid beach badges at the jersey shore or the $20 parking lots in southern california, and it seems like free to me. once you get here and get your car and house squared away, vieques is a screaming deal.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
443 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are the beaches free?

I haven't seen this info posted yet: I read that Blue beach is now closed and will remain closed for 3-6 months for ongoing munitions clean-up.

Baltimore, Maryland
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Are the beaches free?

If Blue Beach is closed that will be a huge bummer (translation: I'm about to flip out). I went for my third trip last June and it was closed for our whole trip (arrived Sunday PM and left Saturday AM), except for a tiny window of our time there on the weekend. Because of the closure, Pata Prieta filled up pretty quickly by noon. After that happened our first day, I decided to take us to Sun Bay, which was all but deserted. We had a wonderful time, but I was very much looking forward to going to La Chiva this June. The only consolation is that, if it is open on the weekends as it was last year, we will be able to visit, as our trip is Thurs-Wed this year.

The first time I went to Vieques was ten years ago, soon after the Navy left. When we went to Blue Beach that trip, it was entirely empty. Pretty much the same in 2007. I so wanted to return to that Shangri-La again this year...