We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vieques safety

Which Isla de Vieques hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Santa Clarita...
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Vieques safety

I have seen a previous post on this same topic however it is dated several years ago and would like updated advice.

I am a 30 yo woman traveling to Vieques alone for 1 night, specifically for the biobay tour. I am wondering how safe is the island? The more I read about it the more dangerous it sounds. Is there a lot of crime? Petty theft? Violent crime? I've been reading stories about tourists being robbed at gunpoint and with machetes….I have flight and hotel booked but am highly considering canceling and just taking a loss on the money.

Thank you

Indiana
Level Contributor
815 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vieques safety

Be advised that right now there's restrictions on accessing the bay. It's limited to just 3 days a week. This is in an effort to protect the bay. There may be some tour operators not even taking people out right now.

Regarding the subject heading of your post, if you've traveled to other places alone, then this is no different and any precautions you've employed in the past will work here. Personally, other than the language barrier (which is my own fault), I feel very comfortable in Vieques. As a matter of fact, I'm here all by myself right now for a week.

Since your only staying for one night you'll be at the W or of the other hotel/B&B, so this is even less of an issue.

Have fun, use your common sense and remember, the people of Vieques are just living out their lives like we all do. Respect and courtesy go a long way.

:-)

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,795 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vieques safety

I agree- as long as you take your usual precautions about being alone in an unknown place, you will be fine. I wouldn't go bar hopping alone, or walk on the beach at night or get rides from strangers anywhere, Vieques is no different.

Santa Clarita...
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vieques safety

Thank you for the information and advice, it's very much appreciated!

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,912 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Vieques safety

Use common sense like you would anywhere else on vacation ... don't leave anything unattended on the beach, don't leave anything of any importance in your car. If you rent a car, you'll be told to leave your car unlocked when you go to remote beaches (so windows aren't broken to gain access to your car), and you won't be given a spare tire (because it will get stolen, according to the car rental employee). All normal vacation stuff.

5. Re: Vieques safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2016, 21:30
Fajardo, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
175 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vieques safety

Your concerns about safety should be no different then any place else you might travel just use common sense. The Puerto Rico people are some of the most friendly in the world and will do anything to help your stay more pleasent. I would not reccomend the Bio Bay there as it has been very inconsistent. Fajardo is much better. Enjoy your stay.

Ellis Puerto Rico

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vieques safety

Last night someone slit the window screen in our rental house, reached in, and stole our laptop. And they had to scale a tall wall to even get to the window. Petty theft is definitely an issue here.

Edited: 29 May 2014, 02:27
Indiana
Level Contributor
815 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vieques safety

What's your rental, where's it at? Did you report it to authorities/rental owner/manager?

:-)

New London, New...
Level Contributor
366 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Vieques safety

West, That's awful! I hope your rental gent/prop manager is helpful. So sorry…. You can try to get police report. Maybe claim against your homeowners?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vieques safety

Yes, we reported it. We are in a house directly above Isabel by the cell tower. The owner was apologetic.... but what can she do, really? We were kind of uncomfortable sleeping last night, but I'm sure the thieves know we're on high alert.