We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jetblue direct?

Vermont
Level Contributor
96 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Jetblue direct?

We're going back to Vieques in December (YAY!) and someone told me that you can now fly into Vieques without switching airports on Jetblue. Is this true? I can't figure out how that's possible... or is it that Jetblue partners with Cape Air and you can fly from SJU direct to VQS on Cape Air? Would like to not have to do the whole airport switch this time around as we'll be travelling with our 1 year old.

Thanks!

boston
Level Contributor
543 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Jetblue direct?

We flew Jet Blue from Boston to SJU in February, and walked to Cape Air and flew to VQS. It took about 10 minutes, but then again, we never check bags. Same thing on the return, although we did have a 3 hour window in between.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
442 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jetblue direct?

That second thing you said - I believe JetBlue code shares with CapeAir now. You should be able to enter "VQS" as your destination on the JetBlue website and get itineraries with Vieques as the final destination. This also means any checked baggage will also move with you onto CapeAir to Vieques.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jetblue direct?

Jet Blue does NOT fly direct to Vieques.

If you book your flight through to Vieques, it is likely to be more expensive than booking the flights separately. it also does not allow you the option of Isla Grande Airport.

If you time between flights is long, you can cab over to Isla Grande and potentially be on a plane before you would have left with Cape Air at SJU. it all depends on your arrival time and the Cape air departure time.

just something to think about

Worcester...
Level Contributor
351 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jetblue direct?

One never needed to switch airports to fly to Vieques. It was and still is an option to switch from SJU airport to Isla Grande or Ceiba, but not necessary. Many flights leave out of SJU to VQS.

As ViequesGuy says, you can book one itinerary on JetBlue with Cape Air. In my searching the price is usually equal to booking the two seperate.

If you don't want to switch airports I would fly to SJU how ever is cheapest and/or the best schedule for you. Then fly to Vieques using which ever carrier flying out of SJU has the best combination of scheduling and price. Bags only transfer to the Cape Air flight on the way TO Vieques, not back. So IMO, it's not that big a deal to have one itinerary.

It should also be mentioned, other airlines have co-share agreements with Cape Air as well, and bags may transfer on the way down. Not just Jet Blue.

Edited: 03 June 2014, 16:40
Vermont
Level Contributor
96 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jetblue direct?

Awesome - being that we'll no doubt be traveling with quite a bit of stuff, we might just look into leaving out of SJU to VQS. No doubt we could probably use a little time off of a plane before getting on the next one anyway. Thank you!

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jetblue direct?

Be aware there are bags size/weight restrictions for the regional airlines, so don't bring much stuff.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jetblue direct?

Isla Grande was offered as an option(as stated) and was "just something to think about"

many people read the forums and benefit from expansive answers.

nowhere in my previous response is it suggested that it is necessary to switch airports. but if youre gonna sit for two hours at SJU, why not take a cab over to Isla Grande and most likely depart sooner and definitely save some money.

oh, and I don't mean to say it will be mandatory to sit at sju for two hours. it is possible the layover will be quite short. but the flights from SJU are not as frequent as from Isla Grande.

Worcester...
Level Contributor
351 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jetblue direct?

Frankipoo, I am not sure if you were responding to my comment but I wasn't trying to imply you said it was necessary. I was trying to touch on the OP comment of "Would like to not have to do the whole airport switch this time around as we'll be travelling with our 1 year old." I wanted them, and possibly others to realize one does not have to switch airports. Although as you mentioned, switching can often save time depending on schedules.

9. Re: Jetblue direct?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2015, 05:17