We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Martineau Bay in Vieques to close for renovation in Oct.

Which Isla de Vieques hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
438 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Martineau Bay in Vieques to close for renovation in Oct.

Martineau Bay Resort & Spa in Vieques to close for renovations in October

By PRWOW News Staff

As a result of the closing, approximately 129 employees of a total of 157 will be laid off. The remaining staff will continue working in the engineering, accounting, sales, administrative, security and maintenance areas.

“While we regret laying off our associates, we are committed to supporting them as much as possible,” said Rabín Ortiz, the resort’s general manager. “We have prepared a comprehensive severance package for each of them.”

Martineau’s owners, Vieques Hotel Partners, a part of Reig Capital Group, an investment and asset ownership group headquartered in Barcelona, have developed a comprehensive training program for the laid off employees.

“We are committed to supporting our associates during this difficult time, and have established a comprehensive training program for their benefit, starting in January,” explained Ken De Stefano, director of development and asset management for Reig Capital.

“Throughout this process we’ve received considerable support and help from both, the Puerto Rico government and the municipal government of Vieques. I particularly thank Puerto Rico’s Department of Economic Development and Commerce, the Labor Department, and Mayor Dámaso Serrano of Vieques”

“This program has been developed in conjunction with Universidad del Este, a part of the Sistema Universitario Ana G. Méndez. We are committed to re-hiring the employees that pass the training program,” De Stefano explained.

Participants in the program will receive a tourism studies certificate from the Universidad del Este, and 9 university credits. The program includes courses such as: Introduction to the Hospitality Industry; Conversational and Commercial English; Client Service; History and Geography of Vieques; Entrepreneurship; and Basic Computers.

Following the university program the Hotel’s associates will begin an intensive, on the job training program led by W Hotels, directed to familiarizing employees with W’s service performance standards.

By the time the property’s renovation is complete, Vieques Hotel Partners will have invested more than $65 million in W’s first property in the Caribbean.

san juan,Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
742 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Martineau Bay in Vieques to close for renovation in Oct.

bottom line: 129 laid off with no guarantee of being re-hired.

NY
Level Contributor
23 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Martineau Bay in Vieques to close for renovation in Oct.

I think it is great that the hotel is giving the employees an educ. in tourism, history, etc... to bad the could not open it up to others.

If the hotel doesn't renovate then it will bankrupt again and no one will have a job.

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Martineau Bay in Vieques to close for renovation in Oct.

As far as I know, the resort didn't go bankrupt but was sold to Starwood Hotels and Resorts who own the names Sheraton, St. Regis, Meridien, Westin and others. They want to bring the resort to a higher level of luxury and status.

Looks like only those employees who go through the training process successfully (which includes English language training) will be considered for re-hire.

massachusetts
Level Contributor
155 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Martineau Bay in Vieques to close for renovation in Oct.

I guessed something like this would happen as I tried to book the hotel for dates in Nov and nothing was available even in March!

I suppose they will eventually rehire even more staff...albeit a poor consolation for those getting laid off.

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Martineau Bay in Vieques to close for renovation in Oct.

We just got back from the Martineau Bay Resort yesterday. We had a great stay during our anniversary. They upgraded us to an ocean view room. The staff was very pleasant and attentive. I hope that most of those who wish to come back will be rehired. The resort will be closed for one year.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
77 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Martineau Bay in Vieques to close for renovation in Oct.

Is this renovation still scheduled? We are planning our first trip to Vieques in Februar '07, and their website says nothing about being closed. In fact, I could have made reservations in a King Ocean View Room.

What gives?

NYC & Vieques
Level Contributor
28 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Martineau Bay in Vieques to close for renovation in Oct.

Up until about 2 weeks ago, the resort was scheduled to close for 10 months. This has changed, and the latest news is that it will now stay open until early-April 2007. But keep checking back with the hotel, as it could change again - you never know!

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
275 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Martineau Bay in Vieques to close for renovation in Oct.

The latest is that Martineau is not closing until April 2007. They will continue operating during high season (Nov.- April). The article was posted on the bussiness section of one of P.R. local newspapers. Anyway I suggest to call the hotel for details,. It's going to be a very busy season in Vieques., so welcome and enjoy the island !!!!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Martineau Bay in Vieques to close for renovation in Oct.

It's too bad employees are laid off from ANYWHERE. But I wish Martineau Bay had never opened it's doors in Vieques.

WHY: They built this great big wall all along a beautiful road full of trees, beautiful scenery. It's horrible to travel along the road a few hundred feet and see this huge wall. No consideration at all to the people in the island of Vieques.

Other "outsiders" buying land in Vieques are building these huge walls or have built. NO LONGER. For years and years people built their homes put wire fences or fences, but kept ocean views and hill views open to all and for all to enjoy, it was a normal thing. People knew their neighbors, welcomed their neighbors, and it felt like family. It's nice that the people in the island got together so this happens NO MORE. Beaches are not private in Vieques, which is a good thing for any visitors/tourists. We hope it stays that way. Some things do need to change in Vieques BUT for the good of the People of the Island. Just hope it does not become commercialized or abused, so that everyone can enjoy it as it is now and as it was in the past. That's what makes Vieques beautiful and enchanting.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
284 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Martineau Bay in Vieques to close for renovation in Oct.

Prexplorer: When you stayed at the Martineau Bay, were they doing any construction work at all? Trying to figure out if I should book for a short weekend getaway in January. I don't mind some construction but don't want anything to disruptive. Anyone else is welcome to reply. Thanks!