We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bio Bay Tour AND Car Rental - Should we do this in Vieques?

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
11 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Bio Bay Tour AND Car Rental - Should we do this in Vieques?

Hi there!

Sorry to post two topics in one, but I didn't want to take up too much screen time! :)

My friend (who's never been to Puerto Rico) and I (from PR, but never been to Vieques), are going to be in Vieques on August 1st for only one night. We had timed this according to the moon calendar.

I've done the Bio Tour before in Fajardo a few years ago, but I would really love for my friend to have this experience and she was so sad when I sent her the articles posted on this forum saying they had gone dark... But maybe something has changed... I hope...

We're also worried about transport because we're staying on the north side of the island away from the popular meeting points for tours, etc.

So here are our verrrry important questions :) -

1) Renting a Car - Because we'll be there only one night, we thought we wouldn't rent a car and take publicos or taxis wherever we needed to go. However, reading some of the older posts here, it seems like this a big No-No. Do you recommend that we do the one night there without a car? If not, which rental company do you suggest that would be easy on our pockets. If we CAN pull this off, is there a reliable taxi company that you would recommend?

2) Bio Bay - Has anyone been there recently - past couple of weeks - and done the Bio Bay Tour in Mosquito Bay? Was it lit up at all? Worth it? If so, which company did you use and what was the cost? Would you recommend them?

(sorry, that was more like a 50 part question! LOL!)

Thank you in advance for any information you can help with!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,230 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bio Bay Tour AND Car Rental - Should we do this in Vieques?

If you will have a full day on the island it's worth renting a car so you can visit several beaches. If you're arriving late in the day with the main objective of visiting the bio bay, then you could get by without a car.

We rent our cars from Chepito- lots of info on him here by doing a search. We're not sure if he would do one day only, but given that you're visiting in August he may well.

We used the taxi service (for evening outings where alcohol was involved) for the first time this past April and were very pleased with both affordability & reliability.

We'll let others with more up to date experience speak to the bay's current state.

New London, New...
Level Contributor
366 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bio Bay Tour AND Car Rental - Should we do this in Vieques?

Bruce & John, Stop recommending Cheepito! We need to keep him the best kept secret on Vieques.

OP, if you'll be on island during the day. Rent a car.

As much as it pains me to say this, the bio bay is not it's former self. Tours are limited. I wish I had better news to offer. I'm not sure it's worth the expense to come just for the bio bay.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,230 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bio Bay Tour AND Car Rental - Should we do this in Vieques?

Birdhouz:

;-)

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
11 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bio Bay Tour AND Car Rental - Should we do this in Vieques?

Bruce_and_John - Thank you SO MUCH! It actually made me feel so good to read that because I had JUST gotten off the phone with Chepito for my reservation!!! We plan to get there by 2:30pm and leaving the next day at 4pm, so we're now thinking that with his prices and things to do, we should probably definitely get the car rental. THANK YOU!!!

Birdhouz - Hahahahaha! I TOTALLY understand! Hahahaha!

Bummer about the Bio Bay... I read reviews by folks who had visited recently and they were such polar opposites that I'm just not sure what to think... :( Crossing fingers a miracle happens before we get there!! More importantly, hope a miracle happens - period...

Thank you BOTH!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,230 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bio Bay Tour AND Car Rental - Should we do this in Vieques?

Lulu, you're very welcome. Please drop by here after your visit to let us know how things worked out. And of course, if you have any more questions before your trip just ask away!

6. Re: Bio Bay Tour AND Car Rental - Should we do this in Vieques?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Isla de Vieques
Recent Conversations