We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must do's

New Haven, CT
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Must do's

I'm going to be on Vieques for for a short visit with my wife later this week (arriving Friday morning, and departing Sunday afternoon). I'm thinking that I mostly want to eat, snorkel and visit random beaches. What are the places that I shouldn't miss (given such a short visit). I have a jeep, will be staying at Hacienda Tamarindo, and am totally up for adventures.

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,200 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must do's

How about the bio bay?

Edited: 11 June 2014, 14:43
usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must do's

Has the biobay recovered?

Ohio
Level Contributor
45 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must do's

Snorkel under the dilapidated dock in Esparanza

New London, New...
Level Contributor
366 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Must do's

Friday: stop at morales market for snacks and drinks.

Check in.

Beach--Sunbay, Navio, Garcia, Caracas (try to hit at least two)

Dinner?

Night cap at the W. (W is best after dark--very swank)

Sat:

Take a moring walk with to Black sand

Drive out to Green Beach / Punta Areanas

Drive around explore the old base, try to find suger mill ruins, take 100s of photos and video clips

return to fav beach for afternoon swim.

Dinner El Quenpo

Night cap on the Malacon

Sun:

Return to fav beach for early am swim.

shower & check out.

b-fast at the airport (i don't know if open on sunday--but surprisingly yummy)

Vow to return for a week.

hop on the plane and return to the 21st century

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Must do's

For food in Isabella:

1. La Zafra - steak and mojitos

2. Mamasonga - $3 bloody mary, rooftop deck and wild iguanas

3. Coqui Fire Vieques - spicy Mexican restaurant

Go to the Piscaderia and buy a lobster - caribbean lobsters are sweeter than North American

Rent a car for 1 day and drive around all beaches -- that will be plenty. Find your favorite and get a taxi there next day.

I liked:

1. Caracas beach (red beach)

2. Media Luna Beach

3. Snorkeling under the old pier in Esperanza

4. Snorkeling near the Mosquito Pier

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,192 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Must do's

We realize that birdhouz mentioned it, but we'd definitely put a visit to Playa Navio on any must do list, especially with such a quick visit. Great waves (normally), drop dead gorgeous, and the road there may satisfy some of that adventure you seek!

Saint Paul...
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Must do's

I really liked snorkeling at Green Beach (and you will likely have it to yourself) but if you go I would recommend making it your first stop of the day. The sand fleas come out in the afternoon when it gets hot. If you are not spending any time on the beach and will only be in the water than this is not an issue.

The beaches in the reserve were excellent. I would highly recommend driving through (the roads are not great but with a Jeep you are fine) because these again will be beaches you may have more to yourself. There is some good snorkeling out at some of them as well.

Washington DC...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Must do's

If you have time, try to visit the Playa Grande sugar mill--it's fascinating.

Florida
Level Contributor
53 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Must do's

Totally agree about Playa Navio. Good chance of having it to yourself, beautiful, and different with small "caves" and even a jump/dive opportunity. You need a jeep/4-wheeler to get there which you already have, so you are set. Must bring all supplies that you may need.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Must do's

since you specifically mention snorkeling, green beach is a must. as mentioned, go in the morning. go to the left of the gray sign and park about 3 spots before the end. when you get in the water, swim to the left. if you only plan on snorkeling here, time of day shouldn't be that big of a deal. On Friday, check in and head over to green beach to snorkel. spend a couple of hours there and maybe hit the pier on the way back for some more fun snorkeling. then later in the afternoon, head to red beach just to go. but be out by dusk.

Secret beach is a beautiful beach and has amazing snorkeling if you are a good swimmer. go out along the left and follow the rocks and cliffs. look for a rock outcropping in the water and head for it.

I would get up and out as early as possible to maximize your stay. you really only have one full day on the Island so it will be difficult to do a lot. Red beach is easy to get to but not a lot of snorkeling.

a different option is go to navio on Friday, green beach/rompeolas Saturday morning, Garcia in the afternoon. or secret for more snorkeling in the afternoon. then red beach for a couple of hours sunday morning.

if you want to go out for breakfast, trade winds has great breakfast. also, there is a new colmado across from the multi-use center that makes great breakfast sandwiches and doesn't take forever to get them out to you. I suggest them.

if you see el resuelve open, stop there for great empenadas and other good local cuisine. check out the kiosks in esperanza.

for nice dining, next course, la zafra and bananas.