We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry Service BeWAre

Save Topic
Ferry Service BeWAre

I'm in Vieques as I write this. Ferry service is very much hit and miss. Non residents can only by tickets 1 hr before departure. Residence take priority. There are 3 line ups. They take all residence first then handicapped then non residence. Regardless how long you've been waiting and if the ferry is full of residence people, non residence are left behind. Ticket sellers are not in the wicket except close to departure. When you approach them they are rude and treat non residence like you are a nuisance. Their philosophy is you're a tourist you have money. So if you miss your flight home you can pay for another. We experienced this as did a local share how it works. TERRIBLE!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Isla de Vieques
Isla de Vieques
Puerto Rico
Vieques
Level Contributor
3,669 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Ferry Service BeWAre

OH On Oh!!!

Esperanza more HIGH Class than other areas! Really! Yikes!

I tell my clients Esperanza is the low end of the desirable places to stay. it is perfect or those looking for low end accommodations and who do not want to rent a vehicle . Yes! The Malecon is fun, but the rentals On The back streets are certainly not even close to the best Vieques has to offer. The Hills, anywhere, Bravos de Boston and the W hotel and many other locations, Pilon , La Llave etc Marineau would all be more high end than Esperanza and most of us would raise an eyebrow to that description.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Esperanza Inn
Esperanza Inn
312 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
445 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Ferry Service BeWAre

Its often framed as an either-or question: Either Esperanza or Isabel, as though those were the only 2 options on the island. There are a lot of nice lodging options in between (those towns).

Mentioned in this post
Esperanza Inn
Esperanza Inn
312 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Wentzville, MO
Level Contributor
24 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Ferry Service BeWAre

This was a low point for us too. I hate flying and especially hate tiny planes, but I would seriously consider flying next time if I am so lucky to go again. It was truly third world trying to get ferry tickets.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,102 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Ferry Service BeWAre

If someone researches Vieques, on this forum, there is absolutely no way they could miss reading information about the ferries. it is probably the second most referenced item. Behind the bio bay.

also, once again, the ferries primary reason for existing is to provide an economical link between Vieques and the main land so Vieques residents can do things like go to the doctor and go shopping. Residents SHOULD have preference over tourists. They need the ferries. you can fly.And, btw, mainland residents do not have priority over tourists.

Mentioned in this post
Isla de Vieques
Isla de Vieques
Puerto Rico
New London, New...
Level Contributor
366 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Ferry Service BeWAre

I think Esperanza is nicer than Isabela 2. Not all the houses are small and lots are absoutly much larger than Isabela, most with larger yards set back from the quite residential street, with trees and yards. Some of esperanza rentals, especially those a few strees back from the Malacon, are built on hill and boast ocean views, wondrful breezes., some have pools. Walking form the esperanza "nieghborhood" to the Malacon (main part of town with dinning ) is easy. I have friends who live in town and we walk down to the malacon fror drink or a quick bite, no problemo. Like any residential neighborhood in Vieques, you'll have nieghbors and those nighbors may have chickens or dogs or horses or kids. It's nice mix of mainly local families and some vacation homes. Break-in are a problem on Vieques, but esperanza seems to have less copared to other areas. Maybe beacuse of the nieghborhood and full time residents who look out for each other. The niegbourhoods outside on esperaza are "high end"-- La Hueca, La Llave and Pillon--and require a car to reach town. Although I ride my bike in the day (not at night!!!).

Isabel 2 is the main commercial center of the island. The town has some lovely old "colonial style" traditional buildings and a legit "plaza". Isable 2 is home to the ferry dock, the only pharmacy, post office and generally supports "real life " on the island. So, it follows that streets are busy and parking can be a challenge. Outside (driving distance) of I2 are Bravos, Santa Maria, La Chata beach, etc. Most of these homes are set on up on hill. depending on which side the house faces you'll have a nice breese or no breeze.

Mentioned in this post
Isabela
Isabela
Puerto Rico
Esperanza Inn
Esperanza Inn
312 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Lancaster PA
Level Contributor
259 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Ferry Service BeWAre

birdhouz, I agree that Santa Maria is a little far to walk from Isabel because of how the road curves away from the coast, but most of Bravos de Boston and definitely La Chata beach is easily walkable as scores of our guests will confirm.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
New London, New...
Level Contributor
366 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Ferry Service BeWAre

Opps ment to include this:

If choosing a house for week's vacation, I wouldn't get hung up on picking a town to be close-by. First thing is to secure a rental car. Then find a house/accomodation within your budget/bedroom/feature requirements. The nicest homes are mostly outside of the towns.

Once you find a few choices contact the owners and check out the location of the house using google maps. This will give a good idea of close/far from town/beach/neighbors.

The isalnd is small. So, no matter where you stay you'll end up driving 10-20 minutes to the beach. Most likely you find your self in both towns at some point during your stay.

1 post
Save Reply
18. Re: Ferry Service BeWAre

Traveling to Vieques for Christmas(Dec14/Jan 15) this year for 10 days. Any new word on the Ferry situation? We came about two years ago and the ferry was not a problem.

Level Contributor
79 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Ferry Service BeWAre

You can search and find many messages regarding topic of the ferry system. The consensus is don't plan to use it if you want to adhere to any kind of schedule.

United States
Level Contributor
9,386 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Ferry Service BeWAre

larry you may have been lucky last time to get the private ferry which is no longer operating...i get the impression it was okay...what the situation is now is flying is recommended especially if you are dealing with the holiday season.