We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rentals or Taxis

Which Isla de Vieques hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, TX
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Car Rentals or Taxis

Hi we will be staying for 1 night on the island next week (Friday) arriving around 11:30 and flying out the next day around 3:30.

Is it even worth to rent a car for that time or best to take taxis?

I went online to the car rentals and they are all requesting a deposit of almost $500 for a rental. To me seems a bit much for a rental for 1 1/2 days.

Will a taxi be able to drive us around the island for the day perhaps?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,048 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rentals or Taxis

No Taxis. Publicos (Shared ride vans) you can use them between the North and south. Heading out west to the preserves and beaches you have to do on your own. Honestly, rent a car.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,184 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rentals or Taxis

Don't all rental companies put that kind of a hold on your card? I think normally they only explain it in the fine print. A car will give you the most freedom to explore (and best of all, to linger) at your own pace.

There is taxi service on the island these days: You could enquire with Vieques Taxi. We've used them for evenings out, but we're not certain they'd have the resources to do full day excursions. You could possibly do a tour for an hour or two and get dropped at a beach with a pre-arranged pick up.

787 741 8294

Still best to rent a car, though, IOHO.

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,457 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rentals or Taxis

I still think you should rent a car, it is just more convenient However there are now actual TAXIS available in Vieques, maybe just 2 or 3, I haven't counted them. they are Black And yellow jeeps and can be reached at 787-741-TAXI . They do often meet the ferrys but with so few of them I would call ahead.

4. Re: Car Rentals or Taxis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 04:17