We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Layover time Vieques - SJU

Chicago, Illinois
9 posts
Save Topic
Layover time Vieques - SJU

Hi-

We are flying from Vieques to SJU to catch a 3:20 flight back to Chicago. Would landing from our Vieques flight at 2pm be enough time to make our 3:20 flight or is that risky with a checked bag?

Just not sure how big or busy the San Juan INTL airport is.

Thanks!

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,669 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Layover time Vieques - SJU

It would probably work if everything were perfect BUT all sorts of things delay flights. I deal with travelers every day and it is really seldom that the flights from SJU are landing here in VQS on time, that means they are also delayed taking off. ( This week guests arrived one hour after scheduled even though they boarded at SJU on time, takeoffs were backed up and they sat on the runway for an hour). San Juan is a very busy airport and is a major cruise ship port and midday is when the boats are discharging which can really clog up security if you hit a day when there is a ship or two or even more doing a turnaround..

I would not risk it cutting it that close.

Mentioned in this post
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
Indiana
Level Contributor
908 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Layover time Vieques - SJU

We usually allow 2 hours. We've done it in and hour and 20 minutes, but like wholegrain says, everything needs to work perfect. Are you checking bags?

Ohio
Level Contributor
115 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Layover time Vieques - SJU

when you fly FROM VQS to SJU, I think you get your bags right on the tarmac when you land as you are in a really small plane and because all bags are "checked" bags.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,245 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Layover time Vieques - SJU

Have a read here as well:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g147326-i649-k76981…

Chicago, Illinois
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Layover time Vieques - SJU

Thanks everyone for the input! I was just hoping to squeeze in as much beach time as possible :) but I guess its best to play it safe.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,102 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Layover time Vieques - SJU

if you are landing at SJU at 2pm and you are not going to check bags, and will have your boarding pass in hand, I think 80 minutes would be enough time, however, if you have to check a bag, it becomes risky.

how much earlier would you be forced to fly? flying in to isla grande then taking a cab is always an option. the flights there are more frequent and you may find it convenient. it is 20 to 30 minutes to get from one airport to the other.

Chicago, Illinois
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Layover time Vieques - SJU

Most flights leave around 11:30ish with a 12-12:20 arrival in SJU on each airline. Doesn't look like they really have flights that depart between 12 - 1:30 on any flight. I tried looking at flights from Isla Grande but flight times weren't that great either.

8. Re: Layover time Vieques - SJU

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2015, 06:18