We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting in late: stay overnight in San Juan or Fajardo

Minneapolis
6 posts
Save Topic
Getting in late: stay overnight in San Juan or Fajardo

Our plane is going to get in quite late (after 10 p.m.) and we're wondering if we should stay in San Juan or if we should try to get to Fajardo that night and stay there.

I guess my concern is whether the cabs would take us so far so late. Any recommendations on where to crash for the night in either city would be helpful.

Thanks!

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,316 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting in late: stay overnight in San Juan or Fajardo

I wouldn't plan to go on to Fajardo that late, especially considering the chance that your flight will come in late. I'd take a taxi touristico from the airport to a hotel in San Juan. What's your hotel budget, and how long will you be staying in PR?

Minneapolis
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting in late: stay overnight in San Juan or Fajardo

We'd like to not go over 100. Less, if possible, since we're hardly going to be there.

Thanks for the help!

Mpls Traveln with 5
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting in late: stay overnight in San Juan or Fajardo

We are getting late as well into San Juan and planning on leaving from Fajardo for Vieques on the ferry the next morning. The research that we have done suggests that renting a car for 24hrs from San Juan and staying over night in Fajardo is the best. We will be staying at the Fajardo Inn so it will be fun for the kids the next morning and we can use the car in the morning to provision up at the grocery store before dropping the car off, The cost is better and provides us with the most flexibility especially for us a family of five.

Have fun. It's cold here in MN so the warm sun of Vieques will be a nice treat.

New York
Level Contributor
91 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting in late: stay overnight in San Juan or Fajardo

We also arrived late. We stayed at the HOJO in Carolina and flew our of SJU the next day. To save a few pesos, next time I would stay in Condado and fly from Isla Grande

Westbury, New York
Level Contributor
97 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting in late: stay overnight in San Juan or Fajardo

Fajardo is about an hour away so I would recommend you stay in San Juan, Isla Verde to be exact ,near the airport. Best Western, Hampton Inn, Courtyard by Marriott are all reasonably priced. Or if you want more upscale try Ritz Carlton, Intercontinental. All are very close to the airport and a quick taxi ride way. Save traveling to Fajardo for the day time.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
364 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting in late: stay overnight in San Juan or Fajardo

If you plan to depart at 9:00 AM from Fajardo pier, you should be there at 8:00 AM to buy the tickets, but you can make reservations or buy the ticket of the boat to Vieques or Culebra through the Internet. If you plan to rent a car, you can rent it at the islands or book the rented car at the ferry boat one month ahead of time. Cargo ferry is available during weekdays only.

If you decide to go on the 9:00 AM boat, you should consider heavy traffic on morning hours, you should leave at least at 6:00 AM. My suggestion: drive to Fajardo during the night and avoid the traffic, otherwise, depart from Fajardo at 1:00 PM.

7. Re: Getting in late: stay overnight in San Juan or Fajardo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2009, 04:16
Get answers to your questions about Isla de Vieques
Recent Conversations