We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baie de Simon

Ottawa area
Level Contributor
18 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Baie de Simon

I am planning a family vacation with 6 adults, a 5 year old, 1 toddler and an infant. I am wondering if Baie de Simon is good for swimming and snorkelling. I am familiar with the south and west side of the island but am intrigued by some of the larger and beautiful peaceful places on the Atlantic side. I have found several houses on Baie de Simon with direct access to the beach but have no idea if you could actually swim in the baie or if we would have to drive further south. WE are not surfers.... looking for a calmer beach where we could do some amateur snorkelling and walking along soft sand.

many thanks for any infomation.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51,212 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baie de Simon

Hi there,

Reports from guidebooks do mention reefs there, but generally on all windward islands we've been to you must be lucky to be able to swim and snorkel on the Atlantic; best chances Dec-April. Martinique east coast is indeed best known as a surfers haven.

No full answer, sorry, but at least a direction...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Ottawa area
Level Contributor
18 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baie de Simon

Thank you for your post. I"ve walked along the east coast along Trabaud, Anse Michel and others and they are good swimming and walking beaches. I was hoping that Simon Baie is similar to those.

regards,

New Jersey, US
Level Contributor
172 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Baie de Simon

We're hoping to stay in the Le Francois area in March for a family vacation. Reviewers of accommodation in that area seem to say the water in the Bay is calm. There are quite a lot of listings on Homelidays for that area: http://www.homelidays.com/FR-Locations-Vacances/110_Search/SearchList.asp?ADR_PAYS=FR&PART=RW&ADR_LOCALISATION=FR+OUTREMER+972-MARTINIQUE&MODEAFFICHAGE=ADR_VILLE&EXACT=TRUE&DESTINATION=le-francois&DEST_ID=CTY2456

I was thinking you could use google translate to read the reviews but you could also write directly to the proprietors and ask them about the beaches and water conditions.

Ottawa area
Level Contributor
18 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baie de Simon

thanks for the tip. This will be our third trip to Martinque - you will love it. It is by far the best Caribbean island we've been to in terms of having the whole package.

New Jersey, US
Level Contributor
172 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Baie de Simon

thanks - I'm really looking forward to it - it will be our 1st time although we've been to Guadeloupe 2x and also Dominica and had a great time on those islands - on Martinique we're hoping to stay here:

http://www.bungalows-martinique.com

6. Re: Baie de Simon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 04:19