We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 day in Martinique

Which Fort-de-France hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
87 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
1 day in Martinique

Our cruise also goes to St. Thomas, St.Croix, Antigua, St. Lucia and Martinique. I am trying to figure out what to focus on at each place . We definitely want to snorkel and do the beach and possibly zip line and kayak. I just don't know the islands to know which place is best for each activity. Which one should we plan to snorkel and which would be best as a beach day? Or is there something exciting that is a can't miss like?

We are a family of 4 traveling on Royal Carribean Jewel of the Seas. The kids ages are 12 and 13.

Milan, Lombardia...
Level Contributor
153 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 day in Martinique

Hi, just returned from a 9 days vacations in martinique. if you have just one day to spend there, I would suggest not to miss the Jardins of Balata, really wonderful and not far from Fort de France. The best beach to snorkel and sunbath is IMHO Anse Michel: beautiful colours and lot of palms! But you'll surely find a lot of similar beaches in Antigua and St Lucia!

Ontario
Level Contributor
206 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 day in Martinique

Hello

Just saw your advice on going to Jardins of Balata. We would be in Martinique in March on cruise ship.

How do we get there? Is there any local transportation, can you walk from Port etc.

Any advice is appreciated.

Milan, Lombardia...
Level Contributor
153 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 day in Martinique

Sorry, can't say if there is a public bus service to Balata. I think you should go there by taxy or rental car. It's less than 1/2 our from Fort de France.

Ontario
Level Contributor
206 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 day in Martinique

Thanks so much for your help. We would look into the taxi option then.

Appleton, WI
Level Contributor
29 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 day in Martinique

We just did that sailing itinerary a couple weeks ago and it was fabulous.

St. Thomas - Magens Bay Beach was great. Calm crystal clear water. We did the shopping, island, and beach combo tour. This is one of the best islands for shopping if that is your thing. Otherwise just stick with the beaches here. Lots of them to choose from.

St. Croix we did scuba diving (both times to this island) so not sure what to recommend. Beach areas are in Christensted which is about 40 minutes from Fredricksted. Need to book a tour here if you want to go anywhere.

Antigua you can go off the cruise ship and bargain away for beach trips and island tours. We have done the ecotour (past cruise thru ship) with ocean/mangrove kayaking, snorkeling, and hiking. I'd recommend this for a great family excursion.

Martinique we did the rum distillery, cathedral, volcano museum here. It was a great tour. Might be boring for teens. Not much for tours on this island and Fort De France is more of a commercial port so other than the shopping area off the cruise ship there isn't much to do without a tour. You can see a fort from the ship, but tourists don't have access.

St. Lucia is the island to do zip-lining. We did Adrena-line and it was a lot of fun. We have done zip-lining several times and the couple of "surprises" were a nice change. Otherwise if you have zip-lined before it might be a little tame. First timers will love it. There is another zip line with a view of the Pitons, but be aware that the Pitons are a long drive away from the ship.

FYI: Wifi on the cruise ship is expensive. We used it for much cheaper on some of the islands. USVI and Antigua has places you can use for free if you are drinking/dining at their establishments. St. Lucia has a $5 all day use when in the shopping area.

If you have a family room booked great. We loved ours even though it was just the two of us. If not, I suggest you check and see if one is available as it is worth the upgrade.

I hope you find this information useful.

Have a great time.

Ontario
Level Contributor
206 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 day in Martinique

ma-golfman.

Wow! thank you for taking the time to provide all of that information. It is indeed extremely helpful.

In St. Thomas, are there any beaches withing walking distance of the port.

In Antigua, did you happen to go to Nelson's Dockyard?

I like your ideas. Again thank you

Appleton, WI
Level Contributor
29 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 day in Martinique

No problem. Glad it was helpful.

I read about a beach that was walking distance in St. Thomas, but then read about things closing so it was no longer an option. Since I couldn't confirm either way we ended up just booking a tour instead.

We've stayed on Antigua before so yes we have been to Nelson's Dockyard. It is a nice historical area. The island has a lot of historical sites that are worth visiting.

Ontario
Level Contributor
206 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 day in Martinique

Thanks again. Oh, I read a few posts on other boards that I can do Nelson's Dockyard by the local bus and it is quite safe. ..taken from "Market Street."

Annapolis, MD
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 day in Martinique

My family is cruising on the Jewel, too, with a 9yo. I think we have settled on a beach day in St. Thomas, riding in St. Croix, and a boat tour of Antigua. We are still figuring out Martinique and St. Lucia. We have tried to book two tours on St. Lucia and both times have gotten the response that not enough people are signed up. On Martinique we found a place where my husband and daughter can surf but we are not sure what the best way is to get there, as it's on the other side of the island from the cruise port. If that falls through, its back to the drawing board.

From what i am reading, a beach day is great on St. Thomas. There was a really cool looking kayak trip in St. Croix.

We were in St. Thomas last year and did a fun pirate ship snorkeling excursion via Royal Caribbean. Tons of turtles, that was fun!

Hope that helps you!

Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: 1 day in Martinique

We are on the Jewel leaving SJ 3/29, what trip did you book for Martinique or St. Lucia? We have St. Thomas (Snorkel trip) and St. Croix (Beach day) and Antigua (tour and beach) figured out. Having trouble with these and don't want to book excursions from ship. Thanks for any info!

Get answers to your questions about Fort-de-France