We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Loved our Windwardside cottage, Althea Cottage

austin tx
Level Contributor
43 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Loved our Windwardside cottage, Althea Cottage

We (two couples) just spent New Year's Eve in Windwardside, Saba. We rented a two bedroom, 150 year old cottage with modern tiled bathrooms, large, well-equipped kitchen and living room complete with games, local interest books and comfy chairs. It was so interesting to read the cottage's history and to live in the original structure. We rented the Althea Cottage, Windwardside, Saba, which is directly above the tourist office and less than two minutes from shops, restaurants, dive shops and hiking trail heads. This is no small advantage, since 99% of Saba is either up or down and one could go awfully wrong with a long uphill walk. We usually cooked at night and relaxed as the wind howled outside. I was able to book this cottage through the website www. saba_cottage.com and made payments through Paypal. For such a faraway place, the arrangements were very easy. And the cottage was really a treat to stay in.

Cedarburg, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
391 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Loved our Windwardside cottage, Althea Cottage

We are staying at Flamboyant Cottage the 2nd week of February so would be interested to hear where you ate (lunch I guess as you cooked at night) in Windwardside or ? The descriptive of the "howling wind" was a bit off-putting! Really? Did you hike at all? Any problem with meal planning? Any suggestions for 2 60-somethings who are planning on walking, eating and playing (but not diving) when there would be greatly appreciated!

austin tx
Level Contributor
43 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Loved our Windwardside cottage, Althea Cottage

We ate at Scout's one night, good pasta. Also ate at Tropical Cafe, right on main street and loved their vegie burgers and delicious fries. And the Eco Lodge's Rainforest Restaurant is excellent but make reservations. You can catch a taxi there and then walk the road back down to Windwardside.

As for the winds, you are staying at 1500 feet elevation on an exposed rock island, so the ocean winds blow a lot. You'll be glad as it can be too hot if they don't. (Think Hawaii.) The winds add yet another wild touch to this natural and unique destination. We've been all over the world and this was the most unique destination we've visited. Don't worry, you'll love it. And I"m always glad to answer questions.

Cedarburg, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
391 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Loved our Windwardside cottage, Althea Cottage

Did you do any hiking? Any other interesting activities? We love to hike (reason we're there) but it seems like there's quite a bit of take-a-cab-to-the-trailhead sort of advice. Hope my kitchen is as well-equipped! After your comments, will probably mix up lunch and dinner out. Did you explore any of the other towns? I've never felt I've had such a poor handle on any vacation spot - particularly one so dang small.

austin tx
Level Contributor
43 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Loved our Windwardside cottage, Althea Cottage

Yes, we hiked a lot. It's a lot of fun because the views are spectacular. We walked from Windwardside to The Bottom then up to the Eco Lodge then along the road back to our cottage. On an earlier trip, my son hiked from the cottage to the airport. There's a third town but we didn't get there on foot. And we didn't visit the stairway that was the way all materials were brought onto the island before the road was built, but my son hiked there on a previous trip. Check out the road behind Windwardside--it goes up and over a mountain and homes are being built up there. You'll have a great time and remember that time outs are also an important part of a vacation.

Cedarburg, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
391 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Loved our Windwardside cottage, Althea Cottage

Thanks so much, travelingsun! It's snowing out and I'm leaving in 9 days! Your advice is amping up the excitement! And no truer words were ever posted than those about "time outs". I've very good at bringing my usual pace along on vacay.

Thanks again.

austin tx
Level Contributor
43 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Loved our Windwardside cottage, Althea Cottage

and remember to check for internet acess at your place if that matters. we forgot to buy time at the grocery store so had to read books, do Sudoku, hike and cook through the New Year's weekend. A very good sacrifice indeed!

Grosse Pointe, MI
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Loved our Windwardside cottage, Althea Cottage

Hi,

We're planning to stay at Althea Cottage. Anything we should know? This is our first visit to Saba.

Thanks.

austin tx
Level Contributor
43 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Loved our Windwardside cottage, Althea Cottage

Take good walking shoes, fun snacks and an adventurous attitude. It is a unique travel destination well worth visiting.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Loved our Windwardside cottage, Althea Cottage

How strenuous is the hiking? We are not in great shape, but really want to experience the island. We are headed there the end of November. Did you have to do any special training to hike and walk the uphill destinations?

austin tx
Level Contributor
43 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Loved our Windwardside cottage, Althea Cottage

don't worry. you'll be amazed by its topography. I was not in great shape either and sometimes let my party go ahead. if you want to, just get your legs in shape with more walking. you'll be glad if you can go the distance.

Get answers to your questions about Saba
Recent Conversations