We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Saba?

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
9 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Safety in Saba?

After doing some research, I've read that there has been an increase in crime and drug trafficking in Saba. Is this true? Some people have even said to completely avoid it altogether. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
2,543 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety in Saba?

Saba is the safest island in the Caribbean (and probably the world). It is very friendly and small. I never ever felt unsafe there. If there is drugtrafficking than it is out of the tourist eye and you really really have to go out of your way to find it. In Saba I felt like not closing my hoteldoor at all. People who told you to avoid have never been in Saba.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
USA
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety in Saba?

I agree with Curtraveller. Saba seemed to me to be the safest place in the Caribbean, and maybe one of the safest places in the world. People left their keys in their cars, their front doors open, etc. We hitch-hiked with no worries (and always got a ride from the first car that had space). Everyone was friendly I don't know whether there is drug trafficking on the island. But if there is, it is VERY well hidden.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
9 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety in Saba?

Thanks for the responses! Where did you stay, if you don't mind me asking?

Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
2,543 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety in Saba?

Katie, No problem at all. I stayed at Juliana's Hotel in Windwardside. Clean and safe hotel. Close to restaurants and the entrance to climb Mount Scenery. Windwardside is the more 'tourist' vilage.

Mentioned in this post
Juliana's Hotel
Juliana's Hotel
247 Reviews
Saba
Mount Scenery
Mount Scenery
253 Reviews
Saba
USA
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety in Saba?

I stayed at Shearwater. It is not quite as convenient as Juliana's, but it has other advantages: amazing view since it is on top of the hill, very large rooms (at least the one we were in), excellent restaurant, amazingly well-stocked bar, nice pool and terrace overlooking the ocean.

Mentioned in this post
Juliana's Hotel
Juliana's Hotel
247 Reviews
Saba
Boston...
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety in Saba?

I am thinking about going to saba with out my spouse (he doesn't like hiking or water activities) Is this a place where some can go alone with out being bothered?

Boston...
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety in Saba?

I am thinking about going to Saba alone, is it safe to go alone?

Edited: 17 November 2013, 14:23
Maine
Level Contributor
534 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety in Saba?

It's certainly safe although I guess if one goes out of their way to find trouble, you could probably find it anywhere. I don't think you'll be bothered just because you're alone. Saba's primary draws are hiking and diving, neither of which should be done alone anywhere, really but guides are available for both.

Arkansas
Level Contributor
9 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety in Saba?

I went to Saba by myself and had a great time. No problems and met people to hang out with.

Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Safety in Saba?

Saba is the friendliest and safest island in the Caribbean and probably the safest place in the world. Frankly, I laughed when I saw your comment/question and wondered where you were "doing some research" and to "completely avoid it altogether." Really?! Where did you find such wrong information?

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Get answers to your questions about Saba
Recent Conversations