We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on flight with children and lots more?!

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
37 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on flight with children and lots more?!

We're thinking of going to St Bart with 2 children, 9 years and almost 2 years old. I've read old postings about going to St Barts with children and we're a bit hesitant whether we can make it. Every advice is welcome!

The point is that we're Swedes and my husband is a historian who'd very much would like to see Sweden's last colony and would need it for his research, so we can't pick another island and next year we'll have another child so we have to go this year (in the beginning of november) or not at all, or in a very far future! we've never been to the carribean, but we've been to USA many times (I know it's not the same).

You who have been to St Bart, do you think we can make it, as long as we can afford the tickets and a villa/hotel?

About food: I read that the restaurants are very upscale and we normally avoid restaurants with our children anyway. Are there any fast food places or take away food? Is room service extremely expensive? Are there any food stores where we can buy bread and stuff and make our own meals?

We wouldn't stay very long, just enough time to see the historic sites and memories from the past and relax a couple of days, ie less than a week.

How bad is the flight really? the ferry is out of the question! Will a 21 months old child manage? Is it so bumpy that I might have trouble holding her or does she risk bumping in to other things hurting herself? Have there been accidents or is it a safe ride?

We've just been on a long trip to the US and she managed very good then, but that was not in the carribean.

Do we need to rent a car? We'd prefer not to since we've read about winding roads and until now there has often been problems when we picked up our rental cars, like pre reserved child seats not being available and lots of other mess. Will we be ok to take a taxi between airport, hotel and the sights? Most of them are in Gustavia, should we stay at a hotel in Gustavia or could we just as well take a taxi from nearby "Jean" (I don't remember the name properly). If we depend on availability of food stores should we then stay in Gustavia only or are there stores in the small villages?

This might seem stupid questions from someone who have zero experience form the Carribean, but I'd be very grateful for all advice I can get! It'd be fantastic to see the remains of our old colony, a once in a lifetime trip!

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
2,061 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on flight with children and lots more?!

Hi MinnieMouse,

I will try to answer some of your questions...

If you are really going in early November you better get the trip booked ASAP as it is the end of "low season" and many travellers take advantage of the lower rates and miss the beginning of the winter weather.

I would opt for a villa as there are many reasonable choices and you would have a kitchen at your disposal. Try WIMCO, French Caribbean Intl and St. Bartht Properties. Some hotels also have small kitchenettes...consider P'tit Morne, Lels Mouettes (on the beach), Tropical or Auberge Petit Anse for affordable choices.

There are several grocery stores around the island, fresh fish is available in Gustavia and L'Orient and there are 2 butchers in St. Jean. French bakeries are located all over the island as well and have great bread, sandwiches and other foods for picnics. No reason to eat out...but bear in mind that the food on the island will be considerably more expensive than at home.

There are also several reasonable restaurants (alrthough reasonable is somewhat relative in SBH). You can check out menus as they are almost always posted outside and see about prices. I would suggest Andys, Le Bouchon, JoJo Burger and Le Select.

Finally, it will be tough (or impossible, depending on where you stay) to see the island without renting a car. I am not exagerating here.

IMO, its a heck of a long trip to stay less than a week.

Finally, regarding getting to SBH, it is difficult as you will first have to fly into St. Maartin and then transfer to a small inter-island carrier to fly to SBH. That little trip can end up costing a bundle. The ferry is not an option I recommend but have never taken it either. Fear of motionsickness ruining a trip is just not worth it. Also, if you do ferry you will have to get a cab from the airport to the dock.

Hope this helps!

South
Level Contributor
296 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on flight with children and lots more?!

Try your questions on www.stbartstalk.com and/or the forum on www.sbhonline.com.

We love St. Barts but don't have children. The experts at the above sites love to help!

Sure hope you're able to manage the trip!

Judy

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
37 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on flight with children and lots more?!

Thanks a lot for your advice!

As you say it's a long way to travel and a bit short to stay less than a week, but we're going to other places in the US also, so we won't at least travel the whole way from northern Europe just for the days in St Barts.

Good to know that we need a car! According to Frommer's Caribbean ports of call, the roads are too scary, and they recommend not to drive, but to take a taxi, and they say that automatic transmission cars are scarce. But I've never been there so I have no idea. I trust you're right about this!

Thanks a lot!

Stockholm
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on flight with children and lots more?!

Did you ever go to St Barth?

I am a travel professional and I can certainly help.

The advice above re car and all are 100% accurate incl advice on the ferry. The taxis do not run all day and especially not at night. Some hotels are def not ok with kids. Climbng more on the hillside. Les Mouettes would be the best if you ask me and if you are looking for the best rate. Otherwise a small house is great too.

columbus
Level Contributor
979 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on flight with children and lots more?!

traveltipsy, be careful. Tripadvisor does not allow self promotion or advertising in it's posts.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
454 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on flight with children and lots more?!

Not to mention, this is an ancient post. :)

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
2,846 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on flight with children and lots more?!

Thank you Godiva, I was just about to write my parents advice......would have been time wasted.

8. Re: Advice on flight with children and lots more?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 00:15