We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4-Wheel Drive?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
464 posts
308 reviews
Save Topic
4-Wheel Drive?

Hello All,

Another question on our car rental - Is it necessary to rent a four wheel drive vehicle to travel throughout St. Barts and access the beaches?

Thanks!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,345 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4-Wheel Drive?

We has a car rental for the week and all of the beaches that we went to were accessable with parking. St.Jean beach gets very busy and parking is along the road so get there early. Some advise a jeep especially if it rains and the road is wet going up the hills. The driveway to our villa was almost vertical and we never had a problem. Have fun!

Mentioned in this post
St. Jean Beach
St. Jean Beach
522 Reviews
St. Barthelemy
Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
2,299 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4-Wheel Drive?

I have seen cars unable to get to the top of the hill from Lorient to Vitet/Pt Milou after one of those quick tropical showers due to wet roads. Some villa drives are pretty steep as well. But otherwise, you can get around fine without it.

Mentioned in this post
Lorient
Lorient
40 Reviews
St. Barthelemy
Berkhamsted, Herts
Level Contributor
58 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4-Wheel Drive?

I would 100% get an automatic four wheel drive. We rented a Suzuki Jimny and there were times when even that struggled!!!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
464 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4-Wheel Drive?

Thanks, everyone. We originally rented a car, but I think we're going to switch for a four wheel drive.

columbus
Level Contributor
979 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4-Wheel Drive?

I ditto zryder, definitely go for the automatic as a newbie. Nothing worsr than a bad clutch and a scooter on your bumper!

Marlow, United...
Level Contributor
360 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4-Wheel Drive?

The only thing necessary are good breaks!!!!

7. Re: 4-Wheel Drive?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 22:16