We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one cruise ship day to snorkel/beachcomb...where?

Colorado
Level Contributor
178 posts
286 reviews
Save Topic
one cruise ship day to snorkel/beachcomb...where?

We will be in St. Barts in late November for one day arriving on a cruise ship for a port day. We love to beachcomb and snorkel and heard Shell Beach is good and you can walk to it??? Thoughts? Any help would be much appreciated.

columbus
Level Contributor
979 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: one cruise ship day to snorkel/beachcomb...where?

You have asked the toughest question on the forum, only one day in St. Barths, what to do!

The walk from your drop off to Shell Beach is definitely do-able, uphill on the way there. Hey, your on vacation, splurge and take the taxi that will surely be waiting for cruisers to dis-embark and save your energy! St. Barth's is not really known for it's terrific snorkling, but I have heard Shell Beach is fine. The beach is entirely shells, and not too comfey, so be prepared. Do Brazil restaurant is there, walk up service for beers, wine, drinks and sammys, upstairs great food and drink with salads (E16-20), burgers/sandwiches (E15-20), plates (E20-30) at lunch.

Colorado
Level Contributor
178 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: one cruise ship day to snorkel/beachcomb...where?

thanks....so perhaps we should rent a car and drive to a number of beaches and see more of the island instead of having a snorkel focus????

columbus
Level Contributor
979 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: one cruise ship day to snorkel/beachcomb...where?

Truly, I would save the snorkling for another port. The fun and general focus of St. Barth's is beach, dining, and wining in true french fashion. A car would be terrific, but if I had one place to go I would have a taxi drop me off at St. Jean beach, walk to several bars/restaurants, check out Eden Roc. The Sand Bar there is terrific. Head over to Nikki Beach, and walk back to Le Plage (Tom Beach resort) and have a last drink and watch the planes land. Take your taxi back to Gustavia, check out Le Select and do a little shopping.

Have a wonderful trip!

Colorado
Level Contributor
178 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: one cruise ship day to snorkel/beachcomb...where?

Thanks, you have settled it, now on to figuring out st lucia, tobago, dominica, antigua, and grand turk among other stops on this cruise!

columbus
Level Contributor
979 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: one cruise ship day to snorkel/beachcomb...where?

Life is good! Have fun, sounds like a wonderful itinerary!

The World
Level Contributor
81 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: one cruise ship day to snorkel/beachcomb...where?

Colunbier is good for snorkling I hear.Last time we were there there was a couple snorkling in the ude I might add. They did say they saw alot of fishes.I can give you a lot of information about Tobago if you like. my e-mail is rocky1977_98@yahoo.com.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,277 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: one cruise ship day to snorkel/beachcomb...where?

L'Orient. Since this forum is pretty dead I feel comfortable telling you there are about 10 sea turtles of varying sizes by the lobster traps at L'Orient... If there are kids involved, this is a really good spot (my nephews just sat on those noodle things and could look into the water and see them)

But, if you want a gorgeous undeveloped beach, I would take a taxi to Saline - which is one of the nicest beaches anywhere. There are restaurants in walking distance.

Colorado
Level Contributor
178 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: one cruise ship day to snorkel/beachcomb...where?

Thanks for the info about the turtles, etc...are those two places good to snorkel or good for lazing about???

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,277 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: one cruise ship day to snorkel/beachcomb...where?

sorry - forgot all about this thread.... You cant snorkel at Saline - way too rough. My French friends wont even go in the water (payback for all the crap I take for not skiing! - and those are miniscule waves compared with what we have on the east coast)

L'Orient is where all the families bring their kids because the water to the right (when you enter next to the cemetary) is shallow and calm. The water toward the left is where all the surfers hang - not that anyone here would surf such teeny waves! The turtles Ive seen are toward the right in the calm area.

I've also snorkeled St Jean, but the reef, such as it is, is way way out. If you want to do this, its probably a good idea to swim along the edge of the Eden Rock promotory which leads to the reef. I think the best snorkeling is at Columbier, but I've had too many weird, coincidental things that have kept me from that beach, so I almost think I'm not meant to go!

10. Re: one cruise ship day to snorkel/beachcomb...where?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 13:16