We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Jean comments on restaurants/shopping/beach near to

Level Contributor
7,598 posts
217 reviews
Save Topic
St. Jean comments on restaurants/shopping/beach near to

Tropical Hotel. We were there just after some hurricane a number of years ago and the beach was not much. Would appreciate info...are there some interesting shops and places to pick up food items and some good restaurants so that we would not have to drive alot? Thanks.

columbus
Level Contributor
979 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Jean comments on restaurants/shopping/beach near to

gene, I suspect you were there after Lenny. So was I. St. Jean Beach looked great in February. However, it will be interesting to see what it looks like after the hurricane season. Of course they will "prop it" back up for high season, and I understand there are projects in the works to save this beautiful beach in the long-term.

Tropical Hotel, if you have been there you know it's wayyyyy up (and down!) a hill to the road that runs through St. Jean. There is an italian carry out at the bottom of this hill. The restaurants associated with the St. Jean hotels will be close. A newer restaurans, Le Diamont located across from Eden Rock, Nikki Beach, and the restaurants in the car-park and close by, Le Piment, Andy's, Le Glacier, "Z", all located in St. Jean, although down your hill, to the car park, back up your hill, you're in for a good walk. Certainly no need to skip those fabulous french desserts!

Level Contributor
7,598 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Jean comments on restaurants/shopping/beach near to

Yes I am familiar with the hill and we are used to that kind of walking. As I feel St. Bart is relatively safe to walk after dinner it will be fine..seems like there are more spots that last time we were there. Of course if we can get a taxi (big if I guess) we would like to go to some other areas but at least there is enough there and the views from Tropical are nice. Thanks for the input.

columbus
Level Contributor
979 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St. Jean comments on restaurants/shopping/beach near to

Tropical always gets great reviews, and is one of the few "midrange" hotels left on the island in a great location. On one of our trips Brad Pitt was staying there, I think before he was married to Jennifer Aniston.

Maybe you will get the Brad Pitt suite! Sweet!

Have a wonderful vacation, binti

4. Re: St. Jean comments on restaurants/shopping/beach near to

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 09:18