We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Barts for a day

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
St Barts for a day

We will be in St Barts on the Azamara Journey in February. I was hoping for some beach suggestions where it is not overly crowded, perhaps the ability to rent an umbrella or chaise and a restaurant or snack shop nearby. Any suggestions for a pleasant few hours would be appreciated.

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
2,846 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Barts for a day

You might consider St Jean bay - you would need to get a taxi from Gustavia, about 15 minutes each way. The beach is very quiet and has places where you can rent chairs etc. and plenty of places to eat. the beach is by the side of St. Barths dinky airport and it is also fun watching the small planes land and take off.

Have a great time, we are going in May and cannot wait. A very Happy New Year to you.

Mentioned in this post
St. Jean
St. Jean
St. Barthelemy
Gustavia
Gustavia
St. Barthelemy
columbus
Level Contributor
979 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Barts for a day

Harcin, I concure with Penny, the most comfortable, easy beach to day-trip at is St. Jean. I would recommend the taxi drop you off at Le tom Beach Hotel (La Plage Restaurant). Walk through the hotel or alongside to the beach/restaurant (it's outdoors). Standing in front of the restaurant, facing the ocean, to your left you should see about 10 chaise lounges. They are rented by Caribe Waterplay, their stand is on the opposite side of the restaurant. Plop down, I think it's 10 euros per chair. You can walk over to his stand to pay him.

Le Plage has a "tiki" or beach bar for walk up drinks and snacks, although I would recommend sitting down and eating at Le Plage. You can also walk a short distance down the beach to Eden Rock and eat/drink at the Sandbar, a little farther to Nikki Beach.

Enjoy your trip. I'll see you in February, and chances are I'll be on one of those chaises myself!

Binti

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: St Barts for a day

Thank-you both so much for the information. The pictures of the area that are posted here look almost too good to be true! Is it really that uncrowded?

columbus
Level Contributor
979 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St Barts for a day

Acually, St. Jean will be the most "crowded" beach on the island, mainly because of the restaurant/cocktail options and the hotels located on it. It will also be busier around valentines day, and the last week of february, which is carnival week.

But there will be plenty of room to walk and open beach. Most people will be clustered in front of the restaurants and hotels.

Also, forgot to mention above, if those caribe waterplay chairs are not there, or are all occupied, you can rent a chair directly from Le Tom (ask the beach bartender), or Eden Rock, just a little pricier.

Binti

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,338 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St Barts for a day

if there is more than 1 ship in that day, everyone will be ferried by cab to St Jean and it will be a zoo....

instead, I would take a cab to Saline. Much nicer beach - a lot less crowded. You wont be able to rent a chaise there however, but the beach is on a slope so it you sit in the right place, there is a natural rise....

there are restaurants you can walk to - or have the cab stop at Maya's to Go or Kiki and Mo's for take out food (or one of the groceries in town for picnic food). There's a good grocery - AMC - right where the tenders bring you in.

Mentioned in this post
St. Jean
St. Jean
St. Barthelemy
columbus
Level Contributor
979 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St Barts for a day

Saline is beautiful. Cons: no shade, no potty, no cocktails, everything must be drug (or is that dragged?!) a good ways. But it will be less crowded and lovely.

For one day, I would go with the more convenient, and for your next trip to the Cariibean, come to St. Barth's to say a while!

Binti

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
2,846 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St Barts for a day

Someone is talking in my ear..the best beach (apart from St. Jean) is le Gouverneur, but like Saline, no facilities, no shade, no potties, but Saline has one restaurant about 10 minutes walk?

Great places to go if you are staying in St. Barths and have a car. But if not, St. Jean is the best choice, and I have never seen it crowded.

Mentioned in this post
Gouverneur
Gouverneur
St. Barthelemy
columbus
Level Contributor
979 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St Barts for a day

Penny, think you are referring to Grain De Sel. A great spot for lunch conveniently located near the parking lot of Saline. When they are not waiting tables or serving drinks they are busy shooing away non-patrons from their restroom!

Binti

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: St Barts for a day

Again, thanks so much for all the information. Tell me, where the tenders come in, is it close to town? Any restaurant or shopping recommendations? Love a restaurant near water, shopping of any kind!

columbus
Level Contributor
979 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: St Barts for a day

You will be smack dab in the heart of Gustavia. Shopping? It's a shoppers dream come true! At least several days to explore it all. Lots of restaurants on the water, and even more in Gustavia. If you can think of the harbor like a giant "U", at the bottom of that "U" there are some with nice harbor views. Route de Boucaniers (some good crole dishes, lobster), Bete a Zailes (also known as "Baz Bar", sushi, good place to stop and have a drink), Le Bistro (salads, fish). Directly across from where you will disembark, the other side of the "U", is Wall House. Wonderful food, they have very nice lunch specials. Too many restaurants to choose from, all divine! Don't waste your time eating at Le Select (Cheeseburger in Paradise) as many of your shipmates are sure to do. Le Select is a great place to grab a drink and cool down after all of that shopping, though. And they sell t-shirts ;)

Mentioned in this post
Gustavia
Gustavia
St. Barthelemy
Le Select
Le Select
66 Reviews
St. Barthelemy