We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Presqu'ile

nj
Level Contributor
23 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
La Presqu'ile

What's the word on La Presqu'ile . . . is it still an option for (inexpensive) accomodations? I've heard rumors that it has closed it's doors . . . If that's the case, any suggestions for a solo traveler looking for affordable accomodations, preferably in/near gustavia? I'm thinking end of April . . .

Thanks in advance.

columbus
Level Contributor
979 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: La Presqu'ile

I'm not sure if it's still open. For a better location in Gustavia known for it's budget accomodations, you might try the Sunset Hotel.

Another terrific place with less expensive accomodation is The Normandie in Lorient. It has recently undergone extensive renovations by a couple from California who are exeptional hosts. A little ways from Gustavia, you will have to have a car, but small, and has the fun feeling of a B & B with continental breakfast and afternoon wine in the pool area. It would be my choice if I were traveling solo.

Good Luck! Binti

nj
Level Contributor
23 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: La Presqu'ile

thanks binti . . . i've read your other posts about st. barts and they've been very helpful. your contributions to the forum are greatly appreciated.

i'd been considering the sunset, but then saw the review of la presqu'ile and that it was dirt cheap, and couldn't help but wonder . . . while i LOVE luxury, i don't mind slumming it when i have to, especially if it means being able to afford a return to my beloved st. barts (currently unemployed, but am jonesing for an exotic getaway . . .)

thanks again!

columbus
Level Contributor
979 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: La Presqu'ile

I totally understand, and thank you for the nice compliment. I love St. Barth's and love talking about it, makes me feel a little closer...

And I have lots of years of research under my belt, and enjoy sharing it with others.

Another cost-concious option I forgot to mention, check out www.amivac.com, L'Etoile du Marin. Cute little mini villas/apartments in Corrosol with KILLER views. The kitchen, BBQ would come in handy if you are looking to cut some costs.

Good luck on your journey! Binti

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,191 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: La Presqu'ile

Have you ever gone on LuxuryLink.com? You bid for trips and I have used them a number of times and have gotten fantastic deals. There is a place called Villa Natanya, overlooks Flamands beach, high on a hill. Its for 4 people, up and downstairs apartments. Very cute and very clean. It has an outdoor jacuzzi for 4, kitchen, housekeeping service daily, no pool, decks with fantastic views,and a rental car for 1 week. The going price is $1099 USD for 7 nights (for 4).Its available through 4/1/09 to 10/31/09 and to 12/15/09. I think its closed in Aug. We stayed there and it was great! The price cannot be beat and I don't think too many people bid on it. St. Barts can be very expensive but if you can save a few bucks on accommodations, you can spend more on food! It is a St Barths Properties villa and once we bid, we dealt directly with them. I just re-read your post and I didn't realize you are going solo. Maybe a friend may be interested?

Level Contributor
7,882 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: La Presqu'ile

Another budget option is Tropical Hotel St. Jean...walking distance to shops and restaurants and of course the beach. As taxi fares are very expensive some of the more remote location mentioned might get sort of boring without a car...with a car then it would be fine. We just returned from the Tropical and while overpriced by certain standards for the island probably a good deal...nice people there...very comfortable for solo travelers which there were some when we were there. I saw the Sunset and actually thought it might not be bad and sort of interesting with all the harbor action and seemed pretty quiet at night. Nice to have all the dining options so close...but did not like the crowded Shell Beach which is nearby...far prefer St. Jean.

nj
Level Contributor
23 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: La Presqu'ile

Thanks to both of the last posts. I checked out luxury link, some really great deals! unfortunately it won't work out this time around, but definately a site to check when i'm planning my next getaway. and thanks for the Tropical recommendation. that is another place on my short list of affordable st. barts accomodations. i definately prefer being centrally located in gustavia, but i was thinking about giving st. jean a shot this time around . . .

thanks again!

Atlanta,GA
Level Contributor
209 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: La Presqu'ile

Vacation? I'd forget Presquile...mainly for construction workers.

Gustavia, while centrally located is not a good venue for your vacation...a little too noisy, in our opinion....much better options, even on a budget, in Flamands, St. Jean or Lorient.

nj
Level Contributor
23 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: La Presqu'ile

I actually LOVE gustavia. Love the shops, the restaurants, and yes even shell beach. I've been all around the island, and enjoy visiting the other beaches, but the "in town" feel of gustavia is what i'm looking for.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: La Presqu'ile

I am also a solo budget traveler looking to stop in St. Barts and was considering La Presqu'ile. I had not heard it was closed and did not see a reply that state it was for certain closed. I am a diver so I am trying to stay near Gustavia. If there is another budget option in St Jean I am open to that. I did not want to rent a car as most of my time will be in/on water and I prefer to walk or taxi for such a short time.

thoughts?

columbus
Level Contributor
979 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: La Presqu'ile

We have no confirmation either way as to the status of this hotel, stbarthsfan is there now...maybe he could force himself over to wall House, have a drink, and then check on it for us???!!!