We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental recos

cambridge ma
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
car rental recos

My 19 year old daughter and her 20 year old girlfriend want to go to St. Barth's in mid-May. They will need to rent a car. Will they be able to rent? Any recos for rental agencies? Hidden fees? They both are good drivers and have their own cars and insurance.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,216 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental recos

Most car rental agencies in the Caribbean have an age limit of 25 and older. Not sure about SBH. I would search for web sites and then e-mail or call them. I'm sure some one will chime in with info.

columbus
Level Contributor
979 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental recos

Agree with above, some companies 25, others 21.

Regardless of the rental age, I would not be comfortable having my 19 year old daughter (or son) drive on St. Barth's. It is a very difficult place to drive, and especially for first time drivers, of any age. But given the fact they have only three years driving experience, it's a no for me.

Extremely steep hills, especially treacherous in rain, steep drop-offs to the sea with no guard rails, twisty-turny roads, scooters and cars on your rear bumper (literally) and no lights on the road with a young first-time driver make for a dangerous situation. Combine that with any amount of alcohol, and you have a lethal one.

IMHO, good luck, Binti

cambridge ma
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental recos

Thanks for your reply but then how do they get to and from the various beaches other than Baie St Jean?

columbus
Level Contributor
979 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental recos

I understand the dilema, a nice one for them to have, though.

Very tough island to get around on without a car. Sorry, no easy answer for you. But I stand by my previous advice.

Binti

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
2,125 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car rental recos

IMHO, I concur with Binti. However, if you are comfortable with it, you could call all the agencies and see if any are willing to waive the age requirement. But please be advised that the driving is difficult and at times (suddenly, without warning) very treacherous.

I had a frightening encounter this November with a garbage truck on a narrow cliff road that involved both of us backing up until he reached a place where I could get around him. Not for the faint of heart.

dallas
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: car rental recos

i would be so nervous for two girls that young to be traveling alone anywhere! have you not seen "Taken"? frightening! st. barths is a great island, but the driving is difficult, tricky and scary! wouldn't two girls be better off, if they have to go by themselves, to an all-inclusive resort where they could get shuttles or just stay on the premises? not to discourage a trip to st. barths, but it would be a difficult place for two girls...ALONE!

7. Re: car rental recos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 16:22